gonna be in town... should I ask for an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ferdie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have an interview next week at St. Louis University. I applied to Washington University also, but haven't heard from them yet. Should I contact them about whether or not they'd like to interview me, as it would be nice to make only one trip down to St. Louis? And how would I phrase that? They wouldn't have my dean's letter yet, but I know they've offered others interviews already. Or is this just a sure-fire way to annoy them?
St. Louis is a place I can drive to (although at over 5 hours I'd prefer to do it only once...) and I have a cousin there I can stay with, so extra hotel nights aren't an issue, so I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world to make a second trip there, but in the interest of time, precious time, I'd rather not.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same situation, i don't think its appropriate. its almost pressuring the institution to interview you just because you are there, and it makes it that much more upsetting to tell you if they aren't going to interview you. The other thing that goes along is whether or not they have interview slots available at the time you are coming. I guess the most appropriate thing to ask would be just that question, whether or not they have interview dates on the time you are coming.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's still pretty early in the interview season to be begging for interviews. I would wait until after Christmas before I started making requests like this one. Plus, people start making cancellations after New Years.

thanks. yeah, I suppose I'll just go back to st louis if washu asks me for an interview later.

i did that several times, about half of the time i got the interview. if they say its too early then its too early. but it doesn't make sense to not even ask, especially given the cost of two separate trips out to that city.