good/bad idea to tell med school about void mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fattymangox03

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it a bad idea to tell a medical school if you've voided an mcat? of course, if they ask straight out, i wouldn't lie about it. but is it necessarily bad to mention it first?

i'm working on a secondary and i want to mention that i've worked hard to get where i am. one example, took mcat 3 times. voided 1st, bad score 2nd, success 3rd.

or should i just not mention it at all??

any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't mention it or struggling with the MCAT. However, if you really think it contributed to your desire to become a doctor, write about it. Remember, whenever you write anything negative, you must quickly shed it in a positive light.

I don't think voided scores are even sent by AMCAS <.< Besides, a voided score tells nothing about how well you could have done on that test. You could've been sick, got a 45 but decided to void because you were insane, etc. v.v

Why would you do that? Just shorten your story to "My first score on the MCAT was discouraging... but I (fill in with cheesy story about "the calling" and hard work), and when I retook the second time I knew my work had paid off... it did."

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you do that? Just shorten your story to "My first score on the MCAT was discouraging... but I (fill in with cheesy story about "the calling" and hard work), and when I retook the second time I knew my work had paid off... it did."

well, bc a lot of students take it for the second time... so i thought it might not really stand out in the secondary essay. taking it for a third time makes me that much more motivated/etc.

the negative aspect of mentioning it would be that they might think.. "you took it 3 times and that's the best you could do?!?!?! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:" heh.

any other inputs? yay or nay?

well, bc a lot of students take it for the second time... so i thought it might not really stand out in the secondary essay. taking it for a third time makes me that much more motivated/etc.

the negative aspect of mentioning it would be that they might think.. "you took it 3 times and that's the best you could do?!?!?! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:" heh.

any other inputs? yay or nay?

Yeah, but taking it the third time also makes you look that much more unqualified.

Though you also want to show med schools that you are motivated, the number one thing you want to show is that you are qualified.

This (not having the medical schools know you took the test) is the reason people void in the first place, so i am quite confused as to why you voided in the first place if you are just going to tell the schools that you took the test the first time anyway.

To me, this sounds like a no brainer. I would definitely not tell the medical schools that I voided (edit:unless they ask, of course. I am not trying to advocate lieing, but I don't see why you should voluntarily tell all the med schools that you took the test and voided).

Did you ever take a class at your university, and then drop out before the add/drop period because you thought the class was too hard or just didn't like the class? Many people do this, as they sit in a class for the first few days to see how the class will be, and then they drop the class if it looks too hard. But, they don't go around telling medical schools about this.

Last edited:
Yeah, but taking it the third time also makes you look that much more unqualified.

Though you also want to show med schools that you are motivated, the number one thing you want to show is that you are qualified.

This (not having the medical schools know you took the test) is the reason people void in the first place, so i am quite confused as to why you voided in the first place if you are just going to tell the schools that you took the test the first time anyway.

To me, this sounds like a no brainer. I would definitely not tell the medical schools that I voided (edit:unless they ask, of course. I am not trying to advocate lieing, but I don't see why you should voluntarily tell all the med schools that you took the test and voided).

Did you ever take a class at your university, and then drop out before the add/drop period because you thought the class was too hard or just didn't like the class? Many people do this, as they sit in a class for the first few days to see how the class will be, and then they drop the class if it looks too hard. But, they don't go around telling medical schools about this.

hm. good point.

why would you tell somebody something bad about yourself when there's absolutely no way for them to verify it?

Just lie and say you never took a test that you voided. Tell them you cured cancer and defeated the Nazis and brought world order for the Jewish community.

is it a bad idea to tell a medical school if you've voided an mcat? of course, if they ask straight out, i wouldn't lie about it. but is it necessarily bad to mention it first?

i'm working on a secondary and i want to mention that i've worked hard to get where i am. one example, took mcat 3 times. voided 1st, bad score 2nd, success 3rd.

or should i just not mention it at all??

any advice?

BAD IDEA. Med schools don't care about cute little stories of how you improved. Taking it once and getting a 35 is much better than taking it 35 times. good luck with your app

I don't know if this is true, but my friend said that during her medical school interview, they asked her why she voided her score. She was completely taken back b/c she didn't even think they knew. Apparently, they do. I don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but she told me to be careful with voiding it b/c med schools can find out.

So I wouldn't lie about it. I would make it sound sweet some how...but I do agree..I wouldn't let them know you had a hard time with the MCATs...that isn't really selling yourself.

Unless it comes with a wam-bam killer story that will really show how you stand out in a positive way, I would avoid mentioning it. Why bother? Now, if you are asked about it, as the poster above mentioned happened to that friend, then I would have an explanation ready about why you voided it. But don't bring it up voluntarily.