Good books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unknownMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
About to start family meds. Anyone have any good book recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

I did Primary Care for several years but changed my career direction. I :confused: was head of a Primary Care Clinic for a short stint. Regardless of that, I found the following resources of use.

Buy your books from www.amazon.com which has used books in a great condition for a good price (ie Emergency Radiolog of the Sick and Injured Child $165 for $88, Like New) :cool: or check www.pricescan.com for prices of books and electronics or www.isbn.nu which is a search engine for cheap books, also. (Disclosure: I don't own stock in these companies so don't think I'm trying to put in a plug for investments, I don't own any stocks anyways. I own real estate...)

The Art and Science of Bedside Diagnosis
Clinical Dermatology by Habif
Decision Making in Medicine
Cecil Textbook of Medicine
Fundamentals of Pediatric Radiology
Pediatrics by Oski
Gynecologic Pearls
Obstetric Pearls

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_4/102-9377024-8209727?v=glance&s=books

Link up to online resources through www.merckmedicus.com :D
-links to medline
-links to mdconsult
-links to "What Patients Are Reading"
-Harrison's Online
-Merck Manual
-Drug References

Get yourself a PDA, with the most memory that you can afford (Tungsten T3, T5 or TC). Faster processor, the better. Sony is phasing out their Clie Line so be cautious. Pocket PC is power and memory hungry, unless you like multimedia, MP3, and GPS which will be superior to the Palm line. The Tungstens by Palm have Documents to Go to run Powerpoint, Word and Excel.
- www.epocrates.com
- Get Diagnosaurus (FREE) :thumbup: :thumbup: from http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/medical/diagnosaurus/index.html

Make sure that you are listed in the AMA as "Outpatient Primary Care". :idea: You will get AMA News, American Family Physician, FP Recertification, MD Money digest for free. You can sign up for free PDR journals through www.PDR.net and get the Monthly Prescribing Reference for free (The Monthly Prescribing Reference also publishes Emergency Medicine Magazine www.emedmag.com which is also free).

Yup that should do it. That should be more than enough reading for you to last you a lifetime....Good luck.... :D

BenHoganFan
Radiology Resident