Good Geriatric Exercise Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brittneydpt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm doing my rotation this summer at a SNF and I was wondering if you all could recommend any good rehab based books specifically for geriatric TherEx? We used the Guccione Geriatric Physical Therapy text in my Geri class and that just gave a basic overview of the realm, I'm looking for something more exercise based. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I dont have a book for you but one thing I would say is start thinking about the different activities you can have the patients perform to work on balance, endurance, mobility, etc. Once you start take some time to look at all the things they have in their gym and how you can incorporate them into treatment as well. You can work on straight forward ther ex and gait etc and that is important but mixing it up helps engage the patient and shows your CI you are thinking about different treatments to accomplish your goals.

I think most PT students and new grads are really lacking treatment ideas. Our schools are focused so much on evaluation and examination and we become very good at that but I dont think our schools do as good a job at teaching what to do after the diagnosis, especially outside of an orthopedic area.

Reactions: 1 users
"Improving Functional Outcomes in Physical Rehabilitation" by O'Sullivan has a lot of great ideas for functional mobility training and is a reasonably easy read (lots of pictures!). It is focused heavily on activities for lower level and/or neuro patients, but it could help give you some ideas that you could modify or progress depending on the patient.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I dont have a book for you but one thing I would say is start thinking about the different activities you can have the patients perform to work on balance, endurance, mobility, etc. Once you start take some time to look at all the things they have in their gym and how you can incorporate them into treatment as well. You can work on straight forward ther ex and gait etc and that is important but mixing it up helps engage the patient and shows your CI you are thinking about different treatments to accomplish your goals.

I think most PT students and new grads are really lacking treatment ideas. Our schools are focused so much on evaluation and examination and we become very good at that but I dont think our schools do as good a job at teaching what to do after the diagnosis, especially outside of an orthopedic area.

Thanks! That is a good idea. I will definitely consider my resources when making my treatment plan!

"Improving Functional Outcomes in Physical Rehabilitation" by O'Sullivan has a lot of great ideas for functional mobility training and is a reasonably easy read (lots of pictures!). It is focused heavily on activities for lower level and/or neuro patients, but it could help give you some ideas that you could modify or progress depending on the patient.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Aaaah yes! I have that book! Will definitely be using it for pointers! Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user