Good gpa but late DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yihaej12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a pretty solid gpa (3.97 BCP and Science & 4.03 nonsci) and I'm supposed to take my DAT at the end of this month. But I'm starting to feel like I'm not that ready. So I would like to know if I have the possibility of taking the DAT in early august without it being to0 risky? Im not going to take it in august for sure yet, but I just want to know if I can safely take that option if I need to? The rest of my application is in and has been sent to all my schools already 2nd batch, the only thing they are waiting on would be my DAT scores.

I ask this because there were some mixed opinions when I searched through sdn. Some saying that because they took DAT in august, they didn't get into as many schools as they feel they should have and some others have said that they even took it in september and got december acceptances...

Thank you so much & any input would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Just do whatever it takes to do good. I think there are two points in time when every DAT taker considers rescheduling, one month out and then one week out. I don't think anyone ever feels "ready" for the test. It just really depends on how your practice tests are going. With a GPA like that you probably have the potential for a 21+ score. (This is my first time applying so I just try to relay what ppl have said on here.)

Reactions: 1 users
I was in the same position as you, I was originally scheduled to take it tomorrow but I moved it up a week because I knew I wouldn't complete all my resources in time (I was right). Just be proficient in your studies and see where you're at about 1-2 weeks before your exam.

August DAT isn't too bad, but considering your GPA, I feel if you can make a 20+ you're golden. Me on the other hand, with a 3.5s and 3.68c, I feel I would need to make like a 23+ to look competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Alright. thanks for the reply guys. Ill keep what you said in mind and ill just keep studying hard until a week or so before my exam and see how I feel then.
August just feels late I guess...haha I think I saw some people already get their interviews...

Take a full practice test today, see where you are scoring and decide from there. If you are scoring 20's, take the test as scheduled, if you are only low in one or two areas but good everywhere else, hit those subjects hard over the next week and then test as planned. If you are scoring 15's across the board, reschedule.

I'm in the same boat as you! I was about to post my own thread but I found this one instead. I'm scheduled to take mine August 4th and from the looks of it our scores should be in around mid or late August. The way I see it, seats aren't going to be taken until they interview people, which should begin around mid-september. By that time they will be able to see our applications and at least know we exist. People really stress early application, but I think scores and GPAs are much more important :)

I'm in the same boat as you! I was about to post my own thread but I found this one instead. I'm scheduled to take mine August 4th and from the looks of it our scores should be in around mid or late August. The way I see it, seats aren't going to be taken until they interview people, which should begin around mid-september. By that time they will be able to see our applications and at least know we exist. People really stress early application, but I think scores and GPAs are much more important :)

Yeah, i agree. Im glad I'm not the only one! btw, i love your username. haha

I was in the same position as you, I was originally scheduled to take it tomorrow but I moved it up a week because I knew I wouldn't complete all my resources in time (I was right). Just be proficient in your studies and see where you're at about 1-2 weeks before your exam.

August DAT isn't too bad, but considering your GPA, I feel if you can make a 20+ you're golden. Me on the other hand, with a 3.5s and 3.68c, I feel I would need to make like a 23+ to look competitive.
You think GPAs around a 3.50 require a 23+ to be "competitive?" I want some of whatever you're on....

Hello everyone,

I have a pretty solid gpa (3.97 BCP and Science & 4.03 nonsci) and I'm supposed to take my DAT at the end of this month. But I'm starting to feel like I'm not that ready. So I would like to know if I have the possibility of taking the DAT in early august without it being to0 risky? Im not going to take it in august for sure yet, but I just want to know if I can safely take that option if I need to? The rest of my application is in and has been sent to all my schools already 2nd batch, the only thing they are waiting on would be my DAT scores.

I ask this because there were some mixed opinions when I searched through sdn. Some saying that because they took DAT in august, they didn't get into as many schools as they feel they should have and some others have said that they even took it in september and got december acceptances...

Thank you so much & any input would be great.
Take it when you are ready it

You think GPAs around a 3.50 require a 23+ to be "competitive?" I want some of whatever you're on....

lol, well I kinda messed up my freshman year with 2 W's and a C- as an engineering major so I feel a 23+ would make up for some of that.