good GRE prep websites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E.A. Poe

the man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My brother is planning on taking the GRE and asked if I had any good leads on prep websites, materials, etc. I don't, but does anyone have advice on how to ace it?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

When you register for the GRE, the ETS sends you a CD with two sample tests. Do those tests and you're good to go. IF you really really feel you need more practice, I hear Princeton Review's book is pretty good.

But really, doing those two practice tests should be enough. It's not a very difficult test, and if you just go in with a clear mind you'll do fine. Er, your brother.

Also, dont buy books for the word lists. Type in GRE word list in google and there are tons of sites with free word lists and whatnot.

Cheers
Captjack

E.A. Poe said:
My brother is planning on taking the GRE and asked if I had any good leads on prep websites, materials, etc. I don't, but does anyone have advice on how to ace it?

Thanks.

CaptainJack02 said:
When you register for the GRE, the ETS sends you a CD with two sample tests. Do those tests and you're good to go. IF you really really feel you need more practice, I hear Princeton Review's book is pretty good.

But really, doing those two practice tests should be enough. It's not a very difficult test, and if you just go in with a clear mind you'll do fine. Er, your brother.

Also, dont buy books for the word lists. Type in GRE word list in google and there are tons of sites with free word lists and whatnot.

Cheers
Captjack

Careful about waiting for that CD, it often doesnt come until after you have taken the test :thumbdown:

Adrian

Members don't see this ad :)
Buckeye(OH) said:
Careful about waiting for that CD, it often doesnt come until after you have taken the test

This is true - anyway you can download all the info on the CD *and* in their "Official Guide to the GRE" book from their website:

http://www.gre.org/pracmats.html

I got the CD on time (I also registered pretty far in advance), but I never did it. I did use the Kaplan book, and found that helpful.

Thanks all. Keep em coming if you got the tips. I'll pass em on.

CaptainJack02 said:
if you just go in with a clear mind you'll do fine. Er, your brother.

Yeah its for my "brother". His name is...uh...Ralph. *quietly aside* "Yes, that will do."

No really. I am goin' the MD route.

The GRE is easy as long as your vocab is decent. Use the ETS's "Power Prep" software (download it) and the reviews they provide for free and you are absolutely set.

I thought the toughets part of the GRE was getting used to taking the test on a computer. I would just make sure you take a practice exam or two. The test itself is rather easy.

Good luck to your brother.

GBFKicks said:
I thought the toughets part of the GRE was getting used to taking the test on a computer. I would just make sure you take a practice exam or two. The test itself is rather easy.

Good luck to your brother.

ditto....depends on how well he needs to do, how much time he wants to put into it. The same words are used from year to year, so reviewing a GRE wordbank is not a bad idea. However he wants to review, I'd recommend using computerized materials rather than a book. The computer does take some getting used to; might as well do your studying in the same format. I think I used a Kaplan CD.

The practice tests are generally good indicators of one's performance. He should take one or both of them from the site/cd and if he doesn't like his score, study more for it. Just about any practice book/program for the math will work; the math section is easier than the SAT math section. The verbal section is more difficult than the SAT verbal, due only to the more esoteric collection of words. Memorizing some of the word lists is good if he wants to improve his score on that section.

Overall, use the free ets practice tests as diagnostics, and read the ets GRE website to get an idea of what a CAT (computer adaptive test) is like. Just about all the info you need to ace the exam is on the ets site, minus the wordlists, which are ubiquitous on the web and in books.