Coursework & Fieldwork Good Jobs to Strengthen Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

looneybird77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have worked in an OB/GYN office for 14 years now, scheduling surgeries. I'm looking for something that will get me into a more OT related field that will strengthen my application in case I don't get in this year. Any ideas on key words I should look for or areas? My undergrad is in Family and Human Development. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think my job experience working with an underserved population really helped. Also I work with kids, specifically health education. I noticed that a lot of OT schools have a class or two on health promotion so I believe that really helped me. On OTCAS there is a whole section on teaching and tutoring, so health education/promotion would be great.

I think my job experience working with an underserved population really helped. Also I work with kids, specifically health education. I noticed that a lot of OT schools have a class or two on health promotion so I believe that really helped me. On OTCAS there is a whole section on teaching and tutoring, so health education/promotion would be great.
Thanks Haley! Did you have any specific schooling or certifications that qualified you for your job? What kind of businesses would you suggest looking at?

Members don't see this ad :)
My degree was Health Science with an emphasis in community and worksite wellness, so I was pretty general when it came to health. Some health educators have their CHES but I don't (you don't need one in the state I live). I work on a Native American reservation but any government or non profit would be great in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen a number of people applying who have been TSS agents or health/rehab aides. I'm going to be pursuing a certification to be a nursing assistant (4 weeks of full time day classes through the Red Cross, but they have weekend and night classes as well). There are a ton of jobs doing that and even additional jobs that just require a CNA, but the pay can be really low depending on where you live.