Good programs around the Great Lakes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Latteandaprayer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this is the wrong place to post, but I’m an M3 post-core clerkships and I want to be a neurologist. All my family in the US is in Michigan, and so is my partner’s family (we will likely be married by the time I start residency). We love the area, and neither of us want to leave. Residency + fellowship is going to be 5-6 years, which may seem very short, but we would both prefer to stay in the area. We don’t have to stay in Michigan, but preferably around the lakes.

I have two questions:
1) What programs are the strongest, in your opinions?
2) Is it stupid to target this region of the US and apply minimally to other places? I’ll likely apply to some programs in the broader Midwest area, and some programs on the East coast, but hoping to primarily apply to the GL area.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Do residency where you want to end up. You'll be building your network there and it's much more common for practices in an area to recruit from local programs than somewhere across the country. It's not stupid at all to target an area of the country. I think most of us do that to some extent. Targeting your home area and adding a few dream programs in other regions is probably the most common application strategy.

2. Programs in Michigan and very close by that I would consider strong include U Michigan, Northwestern, Rush, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic. Expanding a little farther throughout the Midwest gets you Wash U, Mayo, Pitt, and Cincinnati. Add a handful of less competitive programs as backup options, and that's a really nice list to apply to.

1. Do residency where you want to end up. You'll be building your network there and it's much more common for practices in an area to recruit from local programs than somewhere across the country. It's not stupid at all to target an area of the country. I think most of us do that to some extent. Targeting your home area and adding a few dream programs in other regions is probably the most common application strategy.

2. Programs in Michigan and very close by that I would consider strong include U Michigan, Northwestern, Rush, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic. Expanding a little farther throughout the Midwest gets you Wash U, Mayo, Pitt, and Cincinnati. Add a handful of less competitive programs as backup options, and that's a really nice list to apply to.
Thanks! Have you heard anything about Sparrow/MSU in Grand Rapids? I think my dream city (if staying in Michigan) would ULTIMATELY be Grand Rapids, but of course I can end up there from Harvard too lol. Do you know if it’s a bad program?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Have you heard anything about Sparrow/MSU in Grand Rapids? I think my dream city (if staying in Michigan) would ULTIMATELY be Grand Rapids, but of course I can end up there from Harvard too lol. Do you know if it’s a bad program?
Don't know anything about them, but that doesn't mean they're bad, just not very well known. Grand Rapids is close enough to both eastern Michigan and Chicago that I would look closely at residency in one of those places if possible.

I'm PM&R and did my residency at U of M. We often worked with Neurology faculty and residents. Can confirm the U of M Neurology residency is S-tier. Quite demanding but S-tier.