Good psych EMR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PikminOC

MD Attending Physician
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any good psychiatry EMR's? Therapy notes, rxnet, other ??? I am looking to set up a private practice in the future and would value anyone's opinion!

I read the EPIC posting already.

:idea::idea::idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Allscripts is a very solid EMR. However, despite incentives offered for smaller practices, it still ends up being rather costly.

I heard good things about Valant EMR from several psychiatrists that are in private practice in town.

I've been keeping my eye on Practice Fusion, a free web-based EMR. http://www.practicefusion.com/pages/psychiatry-mental-health.html. I'll probably give the free trial a whirl once I get closer to graduation.

I think your post is an excellent question for anybody interested in private practice. It's all about cutting costs where you can. :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
PP from what I understand is not required to use EMRs and they would only be required if the institution is of a large size as defined by several regulations. If that's the case I'd rather just use a word processing program and save them on file if you want typed notes.

Someone correct me if this information is not accurate but last time I checked I believe it was.

I use practice fusion. It works fine. Nothing fancy, but does the job.

Do you save time using a web-based EMR such as Practice Fusion vs. using Microsoft Word and saving to hard drive or USB? If you can design your own templates and use a lot of cut+paste I can see it being fast. Also seems it would be convenient to be able to access your patient files from any internet connection. Especially if you're traveling and do not want to risk your data getting lost.

According to Practice Fusion's website, you can also print the Rxs which I imagine would save a lot of time. Especially if the Rxs are stored on the server and easily modified.

Speaking of time spent on writing Rxs, I inherited a pt that was stabilized on 8 different psych meds. Writing out her Rxs pretty much took the entire session. I started seeing her for 45 min visits just to refill/modify her meds. It didn't help that the Rx pads we get at the University are only designed for a single medication. So I had to write the patient's full name, DOB, date, Stamp DEA 8 times while engaging the patient as she continued to talk.