Good Resources for Pre-Clerks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

h9i9j9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can point me to some comprehensive resources for preclerks. I'm a MS1 student at a school where there is basically no lectures and we study on our own. I've using a mix of medscape and uptodate. I have harrison's but its a little too complicated (and too long) for my knowledge base right now. I've seen people talk about robbin's and Big robbin's. Do they mean pathologic basis of disease or Basic pathology?
Textbooks:
Would there be any good textbooks for basically everything?
Videos:
I sometimes find reading textbooks to be draining (especially after a long day), are there any good video resources that cover the same material?

Thanks so much everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, no lectures/PPTs? That sucks.. I would use First Aid as an outline so you can see the big picture and get some of the books people recommend on here for actually learning (I'm sure you'll find them with a search).

Pathoma is great for path when you get there.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can point me to some comprehensive resources for preclerks. I'm a MS1 student at a school where there is basically no lectures and we study on our own. I've using a mix of medscape and uptodate. I have harrison's but its a little too complicated (and too long) for my knowledge base right now. I've seen people talk about robbin's and Big robbin's. Do they mean pathologic basis of disease or Basic pathology?
Textbooks:
Videos:
I sometimes find reading textbooks to be draining (especially after a long day), are there any good video resources that cover the same material?

Thanks so much everyone!

...does your school charge tuition for the privilege of asking SDN what to study?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously? I'm confused. What resources does your school supply? If there are no lectures are you given some guidelines on what to study? Are faculty available to clarify the concepts?

lol, we are big on problem based learning. We have 3-6 hours of lecture a week. yes, a week. PPT are provided for the lectures, but like all other med school, some lectures are hit or miss. I would say we have 2-4 hours of good lecture a week. Most of our learning comes from PBL.
We do roughly the same amount of clinical skills as everyone else though.

I am looking for comprehensive material to complement my PBL as I feel it is not enough. I'm sure people at my school do fine but I just personally want a little more.

How can your school be mostly pbl? It's not exactly the best way to learn.

BRS Physio has been helpful for me during 1st year. Not sure you'd ever have a reason to crack open Robbins as an M1, but maybe your curriculum structure is different than mine.

lol, we are big on problem based learning. We have 3-6 hours of lecture a week. yes, a week. PPT are provided for the lectures, but like all other med school, some lectures are hit or miss. I would say we have 2-4 hours of good lecture a week. Most of our learning comes from PBL.

I am looking for comprehensive material to complement my PBL as I feel it is not enough. I'm sure people at my school do fine but I just personally want a little more.

You have an average of 4hrs of lecture per week?

Damn even for PBL schools that seems low. Most schools do an average of 4hrs per day plus PBL sessions 2-4x a week.

I'd get First Aid and make sure you're covering all the important M1 stuff (anatomy, physio, genetics, biochem, epidemiology, etc…).

Moore's or Gray's for anatomy if you don't have them.

BRS for everything else should work fine.

I wouldn't waste money on huge textbooks for each specific subject.

I've actually tried reading first aid. The problem here is that FA reviews the material and doesn't teach it. When I read it without basic knowledge of the area, its just seems like a laundry list of term and pathways. So I was looking to find a good resources that is a little more expansive. Hopefully something that goes into the pathophysiology behind diseases.
Our preclerkship is actually only a little over a year long, so I feel any material anyone can suggest for both MS1 and MS2 would be great for me. (I'm actually half way done preclerkship....)
Would pathoma be a good investment? How about the Golin lecture series?

Pathoma is good for when you are learning about diseases and want to hit the facts and associations that are heavily tested on step 1. Goljan is good for integrating the material you already know and understand. So they're good for second year or for organ systems but they aren't designed to be a primary source for students to learn from.

Eh, I go to a non-PBL school and we only have ~12 hours of lecture per week.

I've been using FA, Lippincott's biochem, and BRS Physio mainly. Also HY Histo has been helpful.

Man I would transfer schools or something. Sounds awful!

Like everyone said, most resources are either too big to read or to shallow to learn from.

Kaplan Course Videos in tandem with their Kaplan Course Notes. Watch the videos once without taking notes. Watch them a second time with the Kaplan Course Notes and go to town with your highlighters, colored pencils, markers or iAnnotate on your iPad, etc. Then study your notes, followed by a ton of Qbanks up the wazoo.

Other than those, you're going to have to hunt and peck to determine what is best for your style of both comprehension and eventual memorizing. For example....

I hated BRS, I loved Lippincott

I love USMLE World and Pre-Test, I find Roadmap useless, and Lange only somewhat helpful

Acklands Anatomy Videos and Netters anything were the bomb
Not so with Moore's Clinical Anatomy ...a tad tedious and long winded

But....

Whatever works for you

Last edited:

Gotcha. You're at Wayne State correct?

There's a big difference between no lectures and some lectures and PBL. I went to medical school with a PBL format as well and frankly I thought it sucked in terms of imparting information in the first two years.

Hi,

Textbooks:
Videos:

Thanks so much everyone!

Have you used Figure 1? I've found that a really great resource for reviewing clinical cases. It's completely free and I enjoy looking through the cases using their app in my spare time. Everything posted here is completely HIPAA compliant. I recommend checking it out! They have a website too, if you don't want to download anything. Here's a link:
http://download.figure1.com/fall2014?m=327

Good luck!

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can point me to some comprehensive resources for preclerks.

Pathoma 100%. It's a program with online videos and a book.

Also for pathology books, I like Robbins & Coltran, you can get either the Basic or the Full version. It actually covers a lot of basic preclinical stuff in medicine (some biochem, genetics, etc.). It's also one of the most readable books out there. I have a hard time reading things like the Pathoma book or First Aid de novo. I can use them to review, but I can't learn from them initially.

For anatomy, Netter's Clinical Anatomy is a great book. The Rohen book has real cadaveric pictures.
There are some great clinical anatomy videos produced by Acland, a plastic surgeon:
https://aclandanatomy.com

For the basic clinical skills, almost everyone uses Bates. There is an obscure book called "Sapira's Art & Science of Bedside Diagnosis", which is very quirky and weird, but I kind of like it. I doubt anyone in my class has even head of it and definitely a secondary resource for physical exam skills.

If you do cases, then I like "Symptoms to Diagnosis", but that has mixed reviews. However, if you know this book, you can do well in any PBL sessions, or at least that was my observation.

Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple is good.

For pharmacology, I like Lippincott's, but I haven't found a pharm resource that I really love. Maybe someone else has something good.

I got a couple small specific books for pulmonary and renal stuff.

For cardiovascular stuff, I really like Eric Strong's YouTube videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/drericstrong

For neuro, if you like going through cases, Blumenfeld's Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases is a long book, but if you go through it you will learn neuroanatomy and lots of physiology and pathology. There is a "programmed learning" book, Sidman's neuroanatomy which is good if you're into that style of learning.

I liked Doctors in Training (DIT) for learning Step 1 material and going through First Aid. As mentioned before, Pathoma is amazing too.