Good resources for second order questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jw123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, my school bases it's tests around second order type questions and not just straight forward questions, which I am not use to. Does anyone know a good pool of second order type questions that I could purchase to prepare for our cellular exams, along with our physiology exams? I have heard the USMLE are second order type questions so I was thinking about buying a book that has USMLE questions and just using those questions as practice but I was hoping for a better resource first.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, my school bases it's tests around second order type questions and not just straight forward questions, which I am not use to. Does anyone know a good pool of second order type questions that I could purchase to prepare for our cellular exams, along with our physiology exams? I have heard the USMLE are second order type questions so I was thinking about buying a book that has USMLE questions and just using those questions as practice but I was hoping for a better resource first.

Thanks a lot!

There are many resources out there. I just finished taking my step 1 exam, and used several books that had step 1 type questions. For physiology, BRS Physiology has "USMLE type" questions at the end of every chapter (albeit they seem easier than actual step 1 questions.

If you buy Edward Goljan's Pathology book (the bible as far as I'm concerned), you get free access to USMLE consult which contains hundreds of USMLE questions.

There are Q&A First Aid books for step 1 out there, too. I haven't bought them and I have no idea how good they are.

Lastly, and probably the most expensive option, you can buy a Q-bank. I wouldn't suggest this option until you get ready to study for boards.

Just keep your eyes pealed for board review books that have "USMLE type" questions, read reviews from people who have bought them, and decide for yourself. Hope this helps.