Good self-study Organic Chemistry Book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tobtolip

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good organic chemistry text book that I can use to self-study with?

Members don't see this ad.

it's a big purple book.....SOLOMON's Organic Chem. Best thing that happened to me!

Tweetie

Organic Chemistry by Wade, along with the solution guide....it's a white text book :) It was really easy to follow.

Members don't see this ad :)
another book is "Pushing Electrons"....little 100 page book but it teaches you all you need to know about electrons in Org Chem which is vital for reactions.

Tweetie

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctora Foxy:
•Organic Chemistry by Wade, along with the solution guide....it's a white text book :) It was really easy to follow.•••••I second Foxy's vote! Wade's 4rth edition is one of the best texts I've ever had. I took both semesters of O chem in one summer, so I basically taught myself using the Wade book. After each little section there are practice problems along with examples. If you do the problems as you go along and check your answers in the solutions manual, You'll be sitting pretty!

How do people feel about McMurray's text?

my req'd text was McMurrays (sp?). this was all new to me so what did i know, but my tutor and other students gave it thumbs down. it didn't explain the in-depth stuff and gave few examples.

Is the purpose of your self-study to prepare for organic chemistry class or to prepare for the MCAT?

I took the MCAT prior to taking any organic chem in the classroom, and used a one-semester organic book by Solomon (or was it by Brown? ... I will have to check on that) as well as the Kaplan MCAT book. Having now read a one-year organic book, I can confidently say that a good one-semester book will be more effective if you plan to take the MCAT in August.

If you are hoping to get a good jump on the classroom organic, I would still recommend a one-semester book over a two semester book. But in this case, the "Pushing Electrons" book might be a better use of your time.

solomon also comes with a CD ROM that makes it much more interactive....it's big and it's purple (the book, not Barney)

Tweetie

Which Solomon book are you referring to? There are a bunch of solomons and organic chemistry listed in half.com...

Thanks!

McMurry is the best... easy to understand... but I would definitely recommend going to classes. Organic Chem test is based on class lectures rather textbook stuff and pay attention to mechanism -- once you undersand the functional groups and mechanism you can do or "guess" any organic problem.

Organic Chemistry by Paula Yurkanis Bruice...best orgo book in the world!!!

A book I used recently that really helped me understand the fundamental concepts of Orgo was "A Primer to Mechanisms in Organic Chemistry" by Peter Sykes. This book rocks! Its really helps you see the bigger picture.

aimg1

Organic chem by Wade is REALLY good. Also gives insight in the margins that helps you to understand mechanisms better...

Schwam's Organic Chemistry study book....you can pick it up at your local Barnes and Noble book store. Also, I know it's not a book..but you may want to try the standard deviants Organic Chemistry video tape series...that cut down on alot of my study time when I took the course. www.standarddeviants.com check that website.

Cya.