Good Teaching Points for Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VentJockey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to build up my bank of good teaching points for medical students. I like to give mini-teaching sessions while we're walking together the obscene distances between wards. But right now I've really got only two good mini lectures developed:

The first: Brief overview of the management of A-Fib

The second: Heart failure, and the physiologic compensatory mechanisms that worsen the disease, and the drugs that interfere with them.

Oh, also I have done a mini discussion on Gi Prophylaxis for hospitalized patients, when and why it is indicated and not indicated.

Anyone have some good ideas for high yield useful teaching points that can be delivered during a five minute walk across the hospital? The med students love this and its its really fun!

Members don't see this ad.

I always enjoy a good talk on rational antibiotics prescription.

i think one that you could cover is how to approach urgent cross cover issues like nurse calls you about low BP/hypoxia and how to approach/manage

Members don't see this ad :)
Cirrhosis workup and management, ascites/SBP, pleural effusions, and AKI.

i think one that you could cover is how to approach urgent cross cover issues like nurse calls you about low BP/hypoxia and how to approach/manage

I have seen one ICU attending do his entire teaching for the week on this. He would take one topic a day - e.g. low BP, tachypnea, hypoxia - and then discuss the differential on it, and how you can go in a step wise manner when the nurse calls you at 3 AM. Most housestaff benefited from this.

I used to do 5 minute talks on hyponatremia, meningitis, renal failure. I would also see what patients (esp the ones the students were following) we have on service, and plan a little talk on the bread-and-butter topics. Another thing I would do is have the med students prepare a 5 minute presentation on the zebras they had (or potential zebras on the differential on a symptom their patient had) and present to the team...that way they also get to impress the attending, while the rest of us could learn something new.