good ways to learn how to read imaging studies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanj238

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any ideas how to learn and also how to present imaging studies during rounds as a third year? I know at the step 1 level but wondering not just how to read them but also how to present and what to say....

any good radiology video lecture series for students (not rads residency lol)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Radiology residency isn't four years for no reason, so you can't reasonably expect to learn to read and present imaging studies as a 3rd year medical student. You'll do well to get the basics of chest radiographs.

I agree but I'm afraid of not being able to even look at the xray or image and not at least know the landmarks. I'm less concerned about pathology and more about what I'm actually looking at and the basic changes that take place- ie reading lobar pneumonia etc ( I know, simple stuff right)

I agree but I'm afraid of not being able to even look at the xray or image and not at least know the landmarks. I'm less concerned about pathology and more about what I'm actually looking at and the basic changes that take place- ie reading lobar pneumonia etc ( I know, simple stuff right)
For Chest X-ray, Felson's Book is level appropriate.
For the basics of other modalities/regions, Learning radiology Book or website are level appropriate.

yes, just summarize the important parts of the impression and include them in your lab data section.
28.gif

I agree with summarizing the impression, but make sure you don't fall into the trap of not even looking at the image. If you read the impressions and look at the images, you will start picking up on how to read the images.

Agree with Bowtie: For X-ray, Felson's Book is required reading. Most important thing you will need if you turn out to do clinical work is learn how to interpret where lines are on CXR. Learning radiology is also a great resource, especially their presentations on can't miss diagnoses.

Also, read the FULL report and correlate with the images. You would be surprised how much work goes into looking at a study and how much we see and decide doesn't belong in the impression (for the most part).

As you get more comfortable, especially with CXR, start looking independently at them and compare with the final read. If you disagree, ask your upper level. If you both disagree with the interpretation, call up the radiology resident and ask. We're busy and look at a ton of things, and we realize that 2 (or 3) sets of eyes are better than 1.

As you learn to read imaging, remember that you should always keep the same search pattern. Don't just look and see what hits you in the face. Approach it in a systematic way. A lot of people learn CXR with ABCDE, others work from center to outside. The most important thing is to always look at all the pieces.