Got caught shoplifting at target

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

showstopper496

The Illest
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got shoplifting at target, i tried to steal a 20 dollar game, they cuffed me and took me to the police station where they got all the info,my parents picked me up in the police station, they said i has to go to court, what will they do their? I am very worried, will it effect my education and what will be the punishment? I am 15, I learned a huge lesson from this and will NEVER do anything this stupid again. Can someone please tell me what they will do?

Members don't see this ad.

showstopper496 said:
I got shoplifting at target, i tried to steal a 20 dollar game, they cuffed me and took me to the police station where they got all the info,my parents picked me up in the police station, they said i has to go to court, what will they do their? I am very worried, will it effect my education and what will be the punishment? I am 15, I learned a huge lesson from this and will NEVER do anything this stupid again. Can someone please tell me what they will do?

Anything before 18, except assault/murder and other serious crimes, will not be on your record when you become legal. Don't worry about it and NEVER do it again.

BTW, get ready to do a lot of community service and pay restitution. Better than going to jail, of course.

i had the same type of experience when i was thirteen. it is still on my record. i cannot even ask for them to take it off until i am 24. your state might be different, though. applying to medical school with a felony on my record kind of sucks, but luckily so far it has not negatively affected my app at all. they realize that i was just young and stupid. no one is perfect. hopefully this will not be a felony for you, too!

Members don't see this ad :)
LauraMac said:
i had the same type of experience when i was thirteen. it is still on my record. i cannot even ask for them to take it off until i am 24. your state might be different, though. applying to medical school with a felony on my record kind of sucks, but luckily so far it has not negatively affected my app at all. they realize that i was just young and stupid. no one is perfect. hopefully this will not be a felony for you, too!

Wow, i never knew that. In CA, it is automatically removed when you turn 18.

LauraMac said:

tell me exactly what happend and how much was the item u lifted and what did the court order u?

i was at elder beerman. my friend and i had a couple items totaling around $150, and in michigan anything over $100 is a felony. i had to be on probation for around two months, and i had a curfew. that was it. one of my other friends who got shoplifting used to have to go to these detention type things and had to do a little bit of community service. so, it really just depends.

showstopper496 said:

hey man

just dont do it again, u might be on probation for a year where u better not get into any trouble. U will go to court, u might have to get a couselor that u might have to meet like 2 times max for like 10 minutes. And just go to court and say u are sorry, I think they will drop it. 20 bucks is nothing. U will just have to pay a fine of 20 bucks. U might not even have to get a counselor or do community service.

I remember when I was 13, I got caught stealing a Tommy Hilfiger shirt that was 80 bucks. the officer handcuffed me and was taking me to the station, and I was so worried about the dumbest stuff. I asked the officer if i would still be able to get a drivers permit when I turned 14. ahahahha Not important stuff like will I go to jail, or will my parents beat my ass? I wanted a license man!!! hahhaha

That was back in the day when everybody was rocking the Hilfigers and I had to get one, but we couldnt afford it, so my ******* stole it. It just counted as a misdeamonor and it doesnt show up in ur college or med school stuff. Felonies do, like maybe u would be in trouble if u stole over 200-300 dollars. Not 20.

Dont worry, chill out... Ull be ok.

later

Omar

by the way? what game was it PS2 NBA2K5 or NFL2K5??? Man both of those are worth it!!!!

LauraMac said:

FELONY?

WTF were you "shoplifting?" Cars?

I say you should become a doctor. As for what kind, that is a question another person in this forum will have to answer. Seriously though, stealing things, what says doctor like theft?

stoic said:
FELONY?

WTF were you "shoplifting?" Cars?

michigan is weird. anything over $100 is a felony. i had some cologne/perfume and some boxers. that was it. it was with a friend, too, and if would have been divided between us, it would have been less than $100 each. so, i don't think it should have been a felony. but either way, that is how it worked.

honsano said:
I say you should become a doctor. As for what kind, that is a question another person in this forum will have to answer. Seriously though, stealing things, what says doctor like theft?

people make mistakes. don't be so judgmental. i'm sure you've done something morally questionable before in your life. people make mistakes, learn from them, and become better people in the end. that is how life works.

I learned a lot, I went to target at 3 (i was supposed to be at a friends house, but he wasnt home so i went into target to spend time, got this crazy idea to steal, YES IT WAS NBA 2k5!!!!!!!!) My parents were supposed to pick me up at like 10. I got caught at about 3:30 they took my to the police station by 4. As my parents dont have a cell phone they said they would put my in cell till my parents came WTF!?!?!?!? That was the most terriable thing i have ever encounterd :scared: . So from now on i cant play video games cause it reminds me of this, i will do my best to get into college

P.S Excuse my grammer, Blame AIM

If they prosecute you under the uniform video game act of 1998, you could technically do time in a labor camp overseas. These days they usually pick siberia. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Newman8r said:
If they prosecute you under the uniform video game act of 1998, you could technically do time in a labor camp overseas. These days they usually pick siberia. Sorry.

just wanted to point out that this is sarcastic in case the OP has minimal common sense and panics when he reads this

hah yeah, I was kidding... next time don't get caught! Seriously though, if you're gonna steal a video game, why don't you just steal it off of kazaa, from the comfort of your home :laugh:

why are you on this board at 15?

Newman8r said:
hah yeah, I was kidding... next time don't get caught! Seriously though, if you're gonna steal a video game, why don't you just steal it off of kazaa, from the comfort of your home :laugh:

yeah, you know how ppl are on SDN, though. there is always at least one person who will believe something totally outrageous. i guess it's hard to detect sarcasm online.

honsano said:

I love the morally righteous, you guys have an answer for everything!

If you are 15, odds are you will be able to plea for community service and your record is wiped clean at 18.

In the future, however, try not to do something so stupid.

And out of curiousity, what are you doing on this board when you are only 15?

My existence at 15 years old consisted of little more than sleeping and playing video games.

Psycho Doctor said:
why are you on this board at 15?

Its never to early to start.

Kids these days

I don't see anything wrong with a 15 yr old visiting the board. It's not like he's a 3000+ poster ;)

15 and posting on a premed site. How lame.

don't fret...just don't do it again. i did lots of really really stupid things as a kid and here i am in med school. learn your lesson and move on. you've got a long ways to go...

Fermata said:
And out of curiousity, what are you doing on this board when you are only 15?

My existence at 15 years old consisted of little more than sleeping and playing video games.

hah I think all he wanted to do was play video games, so much so that he pilfered one from the local target. I bet his face looked so funny when he got caught (not trying to be an ass or anything, but seriously) - hey dude, as long as you didn't cry it's cool :laugh:

if you guys can't see bullsh-t when it's right in front of your face, how will you deal with the bad patients and their endless BS,

We all learn from our mistakes! I sure did. I post here because I KNOW that i want to have a career in Medicine.

what a **** lol.
also, why this belongs here i have no idea...

You're 15, just don't do it again.

(not like being 15 is an excuse, but anyways...)