Got FAP for 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reluctantoptimism

Shrews and Trucks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I was recently approved for FAP for 2015-2016, so I can apply to 15 schools and have fees waived. My GPA is about 3.8S (3.7S) but I'm not taking the MCAT for a few months (for 2016 application).

I'm active at my undergrad and I work with my local medical school. At my undergrad, I served as an officer for a few groups, was an Honors student, and carried out my own unique research in chemistry (I may publish). I'm currently working on a thesis which I will complete prior to graduation. My school has sponsored several national conferences/competitions and I've gone on many and have played key roles which resulted in successes for our school. I've worked in the medical field for about 1 year and I've had the opportunity to shadow a few doctors and have been able to observe a surgery. Additionally, I've been quite active at my local youth center where I have gladly served as a mentor, role model and tutor.

I do not have any significant clinical volunteering activity but I'm looking into some opportunities at present.

My list is as follows:

Florida Atlantic University
University of Miami
University of Florida
University of Central Florida
University of South Florida
Florida State University
Florida International University

Virginia Commonwealth University
Johns Hopkins
Albert Einstein at Yeshiva University
Columbia University
Pritzker
Vanderbilt
Howard
Meharry

As always, input is appreciated! :highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

Assume you are a FLorida resident (didn't mention). Lack of clinical work will definitely hurt you. Your MCAT will definitely help you with the list, but it looks really weird (Hopkins Columbia Pritzker, then Howard and MeHarry - - HBC??) Doesn't make a lot of sense. Take the MCAT and then work on the list.

Yes, I'm a Florida resident. I'm a URM so I added a few HBCUs but I'm trying to relocate to the Northeast; should I replace Howard and Meharry?

Thanks Rainbow!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I'm a Florida resident. I'm a URM so I added a few HBCUs but I'm trying to relocate to the Northeast; should I replace Howard and Meharry?

Thanks Rainbow!
If you want NE, consider NYMC, Albany, Rochester, Penn State, Drexel, etc. It is worth getting the MSAR after your MCAT to help you better define your list. You just need to fit the mission of Howard and Meharry (which isn't NE, it I'm not mistaken).

Yeah, I have access to the MSAR but beyond objective measures (i.e. grades, scores, etc) I cannot seem to determine where exactly I'd be a good "fit". I've tried reading school sites but, excluding most things, it seems like all schools seem good on the surface.

I've been studying for the MCAT and scoring between about 35-38 using old AAMCs but obviously I have no actual score yet.