Got off waitlist but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steroplasma

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was waitlisted at two schools and got off the waitlist at my second choice but I have not heard anything from my first choice school (Downstate). Now if downstate calls me like in late June what do I tell my second choice school "Oh I was just BS'ing when I said I'm coming to your school". Am I committed to the second choice school or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Say goodbye to your second choice and go for your first choice! There are plenty of people who will take your spot so dont feel bad about it.

steroplasma said:
I was waitlisted at two schools and got off the waitlist at my second choice but I have not heard anything from my first choice school (Downstate). Now if downstate calls me like in late June what do I tell my second choice school "Oh I was just BS'ing when I said I'm coming to your school". Am I committed to the second choice school or not?
If you did not tell your second choice school that they were your "first choice" then you're fine. If you did, then you have a major ethical dilemma on your hands. Also, you'd better hope Downstate cannot identify you on SDN; many folks on SDN have been identified at interview, including myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Oh I was just BS'ing when I said I'm coming to your school"

You aren't the 1st and you won't be the last. Don't spend 4 years at a 2nd choice school for appearence...

WolfpackRed said:
You aren't the 1st and you won't be the last. Don't spend 4 years at a 2nd choice school for appearence...

Ditto. Just dont go braggin that u ditch them for a "better " 1 if u get off the first choice. Just inform them that "After further consideration . . ."

you can turn down any acceptance (waitlist or otherwise) as late as you want. Only exception is that you can't get pulled from a waitlist after you've begun orientation somewhere else.

You would send a letter that says something to the effect of, "Thank you for considering my application, but I have decided to attend medical school elsewhere. Please withdraw my acceptance."

Friendly said:
many folks on SDN have been identified at interview, including myself.

Really? What happened? When I interviewed at Miami, the Dean asked us, "Who here got on a website called Student Doctor.net before coming today?" When I was the only person to raise my hand, he replied, "He's the only smart one here."

deuist said:
Really? What happened? When I interviewed at Miami, the Dean asked us, "Who here got on a website called Student Doctor.net before coming today?" When I was the only person to raise my hand, he replied, "He's the only smart one here."
From my screen name, location, and hobbies, I was 'called out'......and mortified. :eek: Where I interviewed, most of the other applicants admitted using SDN. It's almost like an illegal drug in a competitive sporting event, isn't it?