Got sick, grades tanked, and I don't know what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mewpboop

Reaction score
In the second semester of freshman year and right before finals I got extremely ill and had to be hospitalized for 4 months. This resulted in me failing a class (a computer science course), and getting an incomplete in two classes (linear algebra and physics II). After I was hospitalized I was given a Picc line (feeding tube in my arm) until half of the first semester of sophomore year was over. Being the ******* that I am I didn't even consider doing medical leave, and I got a D in Orgo and a C in Calculus III which I will probably end up retaking. I really don't know what to do right now because now my GPA is sub 3.0, and I don't know how medical schools will perceive me being a dumpster fire and all. Has anyone had experience having illness affect their grades and applying to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

You are in the middle of answering the question, "How have you overcome adversity in your life"? When you have recovered, dust yourself off, and get started on grade repair. Retake any class where you got below a C. When you have conquered these challenges, you will have a great answer to that question. Take this opportunity to change a negative into a positive.. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In the second semester of freshman year and right before finals I got extremely ill and had to be hospitalized for 4 months. This resulted in me failing a class (a computer science course), and getting an incomplete in two classes (linear algebra and physics II). After I was hospitalized I was given a Picc line (feeding tube in my arm) until half of the first semester of sophomore year was over. Being the ******* that I am I didn't even consider doing medical leave, and I got a D in Orgo and a C in Calculus III which I will probably end up retaking. I really don't know what to do right now because now my GPA is sub 3.0, and I don't know how medical schools will perceive me being a dumpster fire and all. Has anyone had experience having illness affect their grades and applying to med school?
First you need to take care of your health and get yourself healthy. Withou health you have nothing. Once your healthy repeat everything, ace everything, and ace the MCAT. Admissions officers like students who beat adversity.

Reactions: 2 users