gpa 3.15 spga 3.16 mcat 26

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dctodo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I finished undergrad in 2007 with a 3.15 gpa and 3.16 gpa. I know these grades are not great, and I have also repeated orgo 1 and physics 2 (I got a grade F in both classes the firs time around but retook both courses with a B+). To make matters worse, my undergrad transcript shows a downward trend...I got really great grades my freshman year and half of sophomore year and messed up my junior/senior year.

Since then I have gone to grad school (GPA 3.7) and my mcat score is a 26. My ecs include volunteering at bike tours and at the Veterans Hospital for the past few months.

My dream would be to get accepted either at nycom or touro ny.

What are my chances? Don't be afraid to be honest, and if you have any suggestions as to how I could improve my chances, please let me know. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a little more info about me.

I'm a NY resident and was a bio major in undergrad. I was always planning to go to md or DO school. After i screwed up my junior/senior year i didnt know what i wanted to do career wise since my grades were no longer Med school worthy. I then worked at a Chiro's office about a year at the front desk and shadowing and liked what I saw.

So I applied to Chiro school in 2009 and will be graduating in may 2013 with a 3.7 gpa. I know my Chiro courses cant be used to boost my undergrad GPA, but I hope the DO admins can see that I had an upward trend in my 4 years of grad school.

I know this is an allopathic forum so I hope this post doesn't start any anti "quackopratic" debates hahah. I'm sincerely here trying to get some honest advice about applying to DO school because I didn't know until the clinical phase of Chiro school that the scope of practice is way too limited for chiros and I'm pretty sure it is not what I want to be doing for the rest of my life. Unfortunately I didn't want to risk failing my chiro courses to study for the mcat...I already messed up in undergrad and don't want history to repeat itself lol. That is why I have waited until now to apply to DO school.

Finally, my ECs might be below average. I have volunteered at a hospital and at 2 bike tours (once as a marshall and once as a first aid volunteer), about 5 months (as of this moment) of clinical experience at an outpatient primary care center in the chiro department. I will also be starting my rotation at the veterans hospital in the chiro department soon.

I am trying to apply in June 2013 for entry into the Fall 2014 class. Do you think I have a shot at NYCOM or TouroNY? Or should I go for a smp? or do more postbacc (which I really don't want to do lol).

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Hello!
I finished undergrad in 2007 with a 3.15 gpa and 3.16 gpa. I know these grades are not great, and I have also repeated orgo 1 and physics 2 (I got a grade F in both classes the firs time around but retook both courses with a B+). To make matters worse, my undergrad transcript shows a downward trend...I got really great grades my freshman year and half of sophomore year and messed up my junior/senior year.

Since then I have gone to grad school (GPA 3.7) and my mcat score is a 26. My ecs include volunteering at bike tours and at the Veterans Hospital for the past few months.

What are my chances? Don't be afraid to be honest, and if you have any suggestions as to how I could improve my chances, please let me know. Thanks!!!

If you submit early and widely you should get some love. Your GPA is on the low side for DO but certainly doesn't knock you out. MCAT is average.. if you know you can do better you would be well-served by a higher score. If not, it's probably okay for you to sit on it.

In fact, your numbers are similar to mine. Check out my mdapps page.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

Here's a little more info about me.

I'm a NY resident and was a bio major in undergrad. I was always planning to go to md or DO school. After i screwed up my junior/senior year i didnt know what i wanted to do career wise since my grades were no longer Med school worthy. I then worked at a Chiro's office about a year at the front desk and shadowing and liked what I saw.

So I applied to Chiro school in 2009 and will be graduating in may 2013 with a 3.7 gpa. I know my Chiro courses cant be used to boost my undergrad GPA, but I hope the DO admins can see that I had an upward trend in my 4 years of grad school.

I know this is an allopathic forum so I hope this post doesn't start any anti "quackopratic" debates hahah. I'm sincerely here trying to get some honest advice about applying to DO school because I didn't know until the clinical phase of Chiro school that the scope of practice is way too limited for chiros and I'm pretty sure it is not what I want to be doing for the rest of my life. Unfortunately I didn't want to risk failing my chiro courses to study for the mcat...I already messed up in undergrad and don't want history to repeat itself lol. That is why I have waited until now to apply to DO school.

Finally, my ECs might be below average. I have volunteered at a hospital and at 2 bike tours (once as a marshall and once as a first aid volunteer), about 5 months (as of this moment) of clinical experience at an outpatient primary care center in the chiro department. I will also be starting my rotation at the veterans hospital in the chiro department soon.

I am trying to apply in June 2013 for entry into the Fall 2014 class. Do you think I have a shot at NYCOM or TouroNY? Or should I go for a smp? or do more postbacc (which I really don't want to do lol).

Thanks!!!
WAMC can be entered via the PreMed-Osteo forum as well as PreMed-Allo, and is meant to serve applicants to both types of programs.

You will be wanting a DO LOR for both those schools: DO schools needing DO recommendation: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=10677&d=1217108730

Do you have any plan in place to get in some DO or MD physician shadowing?

Did you get a grade below a C in any college prerequisite coursework? Keep in mind that you can boost your undergrad GPAs by retaking classes, as only the most recent grade counts, provided the credits are the same or greater. Hopefully this rule will apply to your retaken OChem and Physics grades.

Some DO schools regard graduate coursework grades in their decision-making and some mainly judge you by undergrad only (even though the AACOMAS application merges all grades earned in their grade summary section). You might make some phone calls to your favored schools and see what their policy might be, if it's not explicitly stated on their website.

I suggest that you seriously step up your nonmedical community service (to something weekly that serves the poor in your area, ideally). Do you have any college activities that relate to teaching, research, or leadership? These could be used in a med school application.

Who will you get your LORs from?

You should be fine for both, and others

Hello!