MD & DO GPA 3.9, MCAT 27, Texas Resident. Any real chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Statemed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to know if I have any real chances of getting somewhere in Texas.

GPA: 3.9 (biology)
MCAT IV: 27 (PS7, VR9, BS11)

-400+ hours of shadowing, volunteering, ER, et.cc
-Health Aide for for two years.
-Strong LORs
-ESL
-Non-URM
-Little research experience (after being in different labs over the last three years, I've concluded that pure bench research is just not for me).

I've been thinking about applying to the UNT SMP but people keep telling me that I should just improve the MCAT without the masters. The SMP has an MCAT prep course (TPR) embedded in it's curriculum. However, I recently received the Kaplan discount (60%) and was planning on taking the new MCAT in June. Should I take the MCAT again? If not, do I have any real chances of getting it? This will be my third time applying and I'm not sure what to do if I don't get in. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take the MCAT again. From what I've heard, you really shouldn't take it more than 3 times. Texas' DO school might be good to look into.

I wouldn't take the MCAT again. From what I've heard, you really shouldn't take it more than 3 times. Texas' DO school might be good to look into.

Thank you! Do you think it's too late to apply OOS DO at this point? I know some schools have deadlines mid March to early April.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are 2 new Texas state MD schools tentatively scheduled to open in 2016 so it would be worth one more attempt for all the Texas MD schools. Realistically, you should apply to at least 15 DO schools in June and submit all your secondaries by July and you should receive several DO interviews. A 27 MCAT and a 3.9 GPA should be fine for DO schools if you apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, do not apply again for this cycle. I agree with Faha. Your stats are good for DO and the new Texas MDs may be worth looking into, but you've got to be smart about the process this time around.

Reactions: 1 user