GPA 3.96, MCAT ??, strong EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j306c954

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering if anyone has an opinion of my chances of getting into medical school. Sorry if this is a little long.

I am applying to the University of Kansas Medical School
I think everything I have (besides my MCAT score) looks pretty good. This includes (mainly, not everything):

-3.96 GPA (graduated with departmental honors and in top 10% of graduating class)
-Graduated with a degree in a behavioral neuroscience
-Completed honors thesis (currently trying to get published)
-Have shadowed surgeries and physicians
-Have been a volunteer counselor for the suicide prevention hotline for 3 years
-Getting 5 letters of rec (one from someone who is a director at the school I am applying to, one from a highly accredited physician)
-Have been an assistant researcher at the school I am applying to for 2 years (fMRI research)
-Volunteer in the surgery department at a hospital since January
-On honor roll almost every semester

All that being said, I have yet to get my MCAT score back, but I don't feel like it's going to be great. I know that is common, but my average on practice tests was only 25 and I never scored over a 27. I was aiming for the 27-30 range. I am worried that if it is below 27, my chances are hindered.

Any opinions??

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely suggest applying to more than one school. Even though I would say your chances at Kansas are decent (assuming you're a Kansas resident) due to the fact their MCAT scores are lower than average (30 median and 24-35 10th-90th percentile), applying to only one school is really risky. Also, the fact that you averaged a 25 on your practice tests is a bit concerning considering many people score 1-2 points below their AAMC average. I would strongly consider investing in the MSAR and add some more schools to your list to be safe. However, keep in mind that for most MD schools, anything less than a 27 (or less than an 8 on any sub-section) is likely lethal, even with your stellar GPA. You would probably be good for most DO schools as long as you didn't completely bomb the MCAT (<23).

Reactions: 1 user
I would definitely suggest applying to more than one school. Even though I would say your chances at Kansas are decent (assuming you're a Kansas resident) due to the fact their MCAT scores are lower than average (30 median and 24-35 10th-90th percentile), applying to only one school is really risky. Also, the fact that you averaged a 25 on your practice tests is a bit concerning considering many people score 1-2 points below their AAMC average. I would strongly consider investing in the MSAR and add some more schools to your list to be safe. However, keep in mind that for most MD schools, anything less than a 27 (or less than an 8 on any sub-section) is likely lethal, even with your stellar GPA. You would probably be good for most DO schools as long as you didn't completely bomb the MCAT (<23).
Thanks. I have continued to study after I took the MCAT 8/1 and if I don't do as well as I had hoped, I am taking it again 9/6. Also, the average MCAT of those accepted at KU med is 30 and GPA is 3.72. My friend got in with a lower GPA than me, as well as an MCAT score of 28 (although I am aware that those are not the only two things considered). Those facts do give me some hope.