GPA 4.0, MCAT 33 Top-Tier Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MediPhil

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
9 PS/11 VR/13 BS (33) - Grrrr, two points below my AAMC average. Average was 11/12/12 ;(
4.0 Cumulative GPA in Cell & Molecular Biology at an average state school
Minors: Chemistry and Spanish

Extremely strong leadership - President of university's largest research institution (has a world-renowned name)
Personally created and directed multiple large-scale campus events
All rec letters state, "best student/leader/researcher in last 10/20 years" or something along those lines from full professors and deans
3+ years of research experience across 4 laboratories (nationally competitive fellowship included) 3 labs biomedical and 1 plant biological, pub in writing
Extensive shadowing and healthcare volunteering
Extensive extracurriculars, both academic and athletic
Received numerous prestigious awards and scholarships
Very persuasive personal statement

Basically, was my bad MCAT performance enough to shun me from top 10 schools?
My dream choice is UCSF but that is doubtful with MCAT and OOS. Other top options include Mayo, UT Southwestern, and UCSD but I applied to a broad spectrum.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on the quality of your ECs. Without giving us more information you won't receive any helpful responses.

As I'm sure you're already aware, you've got a great shot at getting into multiple mid tier schools as long as you're applying early and broadly.

For T10, you'll need amazing ECs to make up for that 33MCAT.

My ECs include:

Director and Creator of a unique type of University-Wide Research Conference, also used as a case study for presentation at NCUR
Co-Director and Co-Creator of a major community event that educates local families about personal health and the environment
Volunteer Coordinator for a local TEDx event
President of the University Chapter of the world's second largest Medical Research Institution
Volunteer Organic Chemistry Tutor
University Student Representative for Undergraduate Research
100+ Shadowing Hours across 8 specialties
Over 4000 cumulative research hours including basic cell, microbio, miRNA and plant biotechnology research
Plant Research currently in publication writing phase (small paper, third author); all other projects ongoing
Lots of dinky volunteer work like Ronald McDonald, Dog Shelters, etc.
40 hours volunteer at local free healthcare clinic
Author of multiple local University newspaper articles
Member and Scholarship recipient of Phi Beta Kappa
Intramural Men's and Co-ed Volleyball Champion :p

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should add 10-15 schools that are "match" or "safety" based on your stats. Then add whatever top tiers you want, because you never know which ones may stick. The MCAT is a weak link, but sometimes exceptions are obviously made.

UCSF has no in state preference so you being OOS would have no impact.

If OP is from CA aren't their odds at Southwestern also poor?

I'm a Texas resident so UTSW is a top choice!

If you made friends with well-known or respected PI's, sure.
The one PI with whom I gained the most respect transferred his lab to another institution a year ago. Sad day for me.

He was not one of my recommendation letter authors either. I used a well-known Chairman and Deans from my own University.