GPA and returning to school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaseyMedic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently had a second chance at college after some military service. I basically failed out the first time at a university with a 1.86 because life just went sideways on me for a few years. Now I am back and going to a closely connected community college. I did the whole scary turn in of my transcripts from the first time but None of my failed classes were transferred because they were all engineering not AA or program required. So I got a second chance at a 4.0. I grad my AA this December with a 3.93 at my new school so eh I got 1 B in three semesters(45 credit hours).

My question is twofold. When I go on the med school do they combine my old failure GPA with my new one before they look to see if I am competitive or do they look at them separate. Secondly... If I were to try going back to that same university but for its med school would my grad school GPA be separated from my undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

1. You have to submit all transcripts to the application service, so yes: all classes count towards a cumulative GPA (it will be combined).

2. Grad + undergrad GPAs calculated separately but post-bacc counts as undergrad if its taken at undergrad level/not SMP. And having a fantastic grad GPA won't make up for a subpar undergrad gpa.

*For your second question, do you mean will your med school GPA be calculated separately from your undergrad? Definitely.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes to that last part. I was wondering if I would be going in with a ~3.2 combined GPA as my starting point. My sGPA is still very strong at 3.9 and I can show that once I found my calling and dealt with the issues from my first time the Grades climbed. I am just worried about how much weight on my GPA those first failed attempt will have.