GPA (+) and (-)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilchinoboy03

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just another question i was curious about....does AADSAS really give 4.33 for A+ grades??? I think I read that around on this forum, but I couldn't tell if they were serious or just messing around. Could someone please clear this up for me? I'm working on pulling my GPA up this next year before I apply...and if this is the case...I'll bust my hump a bit more to strive for the (+) mark...anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

It's my understanding that AADSAS converts all grades to a 4.0 scale, even if your university uses a +/- scale.

AADSAS computes a GPA that includes +/- grades (including A+'s as 4.33, A-'s as 3.67, etc.), as well as a GPA w/o +/- factored in (where A-, A, and A+ all equal 4.0).

Members don't see this ad :)
toothfairy85 said:
It's my understanding that AADSAS converts all grades to a 4.0 scale, even if your university uses a +/- scale.
Nope..
they report both a +/- scale and one without it..

A+ is 4.33 on that scale so it is worth the extr effort to attempt to get them.. dont know how much importance schools place on it though

My school doesn't have +/- grades. So if you have between 90-100 you earn an A and 4 pts. If you have between 80-89 you earn a B and 3 pts. I think it sucks that there is such a big gap in points earned between an 89 and a 90....
Which GPAs do dent schools look at?? The one with or without +/-??

SRW26 said:
AADSAS computes a GPA that includes +/- grades (including A+'s as 4.33, A-'s as 3.67, etc.), as well as a GPA w/o +/- factored in (where A-, A, and A+ all equal 4.0).

ok can you guys please clerify this for me???

my school has everything from A+ to D- then F

here is my understanding how the gpa is calculated
PLEASE correct me

A+ 4.0
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3

and so on

so can someone put the in the right GPA values, since i'm guessing those ones are not correct

i'm looking at the AADSAS instructions adobe file (page 40) and it talks about gpa calculations

it says all grades are converted to their 4.0 scale

i cant seem to find the 4.33 you guys are talking about anywhere

mspaic said:
ok can you guys please clerify this for me???

A+ 4.333
A 4.000
A- 3.667
B+ 3.333
B 3.000
B- 2.667
C+ 2.333

so can someone put the in the right GPA values, since i'm guessing those ones are not correct

There's the values from the conversion table I explained how to access above :) For the grading system with +/-. Hopes this helps :thumbup:

SRW26 said:
There's the values from the conversion table I explained how to access above :) For the grading system with +/-. Hopes this helps :thumbup:

WOW .. this increase my gpa from 3.56 to 3.59 and i didnt even get off my but lol

i hope this info is correct

can i create an account in that site even though i'm not applying for dent school yet

mspaic said:
WOW .. this increase my gpa from 3.56 to 3.59 and i didnt even get off my but lol

i hope this info is correct

can i create an account in that site even though i'm not applying for dent school yet
Sure why not? Its a free country (or continent)!

ok now i'm not sure what the with/without means

i mean how can you have a 4.0 for an A+ if you're in a school WITHOUT +'s

aghh confusing
and also, what about page 40 in that booklet i talked about , its a totally different conversion scale!

Which GPAs do dent schools look at?? The one with or without +/-??

prez_al said:
Sure why not? Its a free country (or continent)!

hey which scale did you use when you calculated you gpa

i'm guessing since we're from mac and we'll have the same looking transcripts, they'll use the same scale!

AADSAS calculates your GPA using both scales. You'll end up with a "GPA" and a "GPA w/o" for all of your GPA categories (BCP, Sciences, Non-Sciences, Cumulative). If one's school doesn't use plusses and minuses at all, I assume both of one's calculated GPAs would be the same.

mspaic,

The scale you showed is the U of T one...
This is what I found from Dr. Ferdinand's Black Book of Med Schools...

A+ = 4.0
A = 3.9 (The rest is what you wrote earlier)

But... AADSAS uses a standard system for all schools so it eliminates any of the school biases. Then people can debate about +/- grades, which is why its nice to have one that eliminates the +/-

SRW26 said:
AADSAS calculates your GPA using both scales. You'll end up with a "GPA" and a "GPA w/o" for all of your GPA categories (BCP, Sciences, Non-Sciences, Cumulative). If one's school doesn't use plusses and minuses at all, I assume both of one's calculated GPAs would be the same.
Well I transferred schools...the first school used +/- and the one I am currently attending does not...so it's kind of messed up. The GPAs without the +/- are about 0.1 points higher than the ones with the +/-....most of my credits are from an institution not using +/-. However, when IU contacted me about my grades the guy quoted my lower GPA that used the with +/- points. Which is annoying me because I thought they would use the higher one since most of my credits fall within that category.

prez_al said:
mspaic,

The scale you showed is the U of T one...
This is what I found from Dr. Ferdinand's Black Book of Med Schools...

A+ = 4.0
A = 3.9 (The rest is what you wrote earlier)

But... AADSAS uses a standard system for all schools so it eliminates any of the school biases. Then people can debate about +/- grades, which is why its nice to have one that eliminates the +/-

yes, i know how its calculated in canada ! thanks though

ok now i think i know how its done in the usa too..

this serves me well cause i have tons of A-'s , which will be counted as 4's on the w/o scale
i guess consistency pays off

but what GPA do dental schools look at primairly ?

like when you guys post your GPA's in the signature, which one do you post, the with plus and minus or the one w/o

mspaic said:
yes, i know how its calculated in canada ! thanks though

ok now i think i know how its done in the usa too..

this serves me well cause i have tons of A-'s , which will be counted as 4's on the w/o scale
i guess consistency pays off

but what GPA do dental schools look at primairly ?

like when you guys post your GPA's in the signature, which one do you post, the with plus and minus or the one w/o

Every school looks at it differently but i think the +/- is what most schools look at. And most people put whatever GPA is higher, in their signature. ;)

tinman831 said:
Every school looks at it differently but i think the +/- is what most schools look at. And most people put whatever GPA is higher, in their signature. ;)

ahh just did mine and its exactly the same on both of the scales..!