GPA Boost vs. Challenging Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phineas92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am currently a pre-vet biology major in need of some scheduling advice. I am currently in a situation where I would like to boost my GPA a bit more but also feel I should be taking challenging courses. So my question is, should I be taking more vet-related electives (not pre-vet requirements) that could harm my GPA or should I be taking easier electives that can boost my GPA but are not science related? What matters more to vet school admissions: our GPA or our coursework?

I am not taking very many credits now because I am also trying to get a job in a vet clinic so I can get some more experience under my belt. Do fewer credits look bad even when you have a job? Is it ok to take fewer credits so that you can do better in those classes and boost your GPA or does it look like the course load is too easy?

Sorry for so many questions! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Take challenging courses and boost your GPA.

Take challenging courses and boost your GPA.

AND a heavy courseload.

If you have the chance to bring up your academic credibility now, I would prioritize that. It will save you time, money, and heartache later. If you find that you're overwhelmed because you have too much to do, you can always scale back in the clinic and tack on experience hours later if you're deficient.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ What they said.

I strongly recommend taking a full course load if all possible and taking challenging courses that you are also genuinely interested in. I find that I do best in courses that I like, even if they're difficult (explains why currently anatomy is my highest mark and health management is my lowest). My lowest marks are typically the easy bird courses that I don't actually care about.

along with what everyone else said...

also depending on what school(s) you are applying to, check the requirements for course load. At OVC you MUST take a full course load, otherwise that semester doesn't count for anything, even if you have pre recs in it. Also, you are required to take upper level courses if you are in upper years at uni, i.e. you can't take 1st year "Life Science" if you're in your 3rd or 4th year.

I am not taking very many credits now because I am also trying to get a job in a vet clinic so I can get some more experience under my belt. Do fewer credits look bad even when you have a job? Is it ok to take fewer credits so that you can do better in those classes and boost your GPA or does it look like the course load is too easy?

There are a million and a half other applicants who, like you, are working to get hours yet manage to also go to school full time. It will certainly be noted and reflected poorly on you if you choose to take less than a full courseload.

I also would not recommend taking non-science classes. If you were to say major in something non-scince, do really well in those classes, and also take vet reqs, and do well in those, then the non-sci might help set you apart. I do also think it depends on the school. CSU looks at your gpa each semester, how many credits you were taking,and how many hows a week you were working that semester. They also really look at upper division sci classes and ecpect you to do well in them. Other schools rely more on straight gpa. Either way you should push yourself to do as well as you can in your courses.

Going to revive this old thread in order to ask a question.

I'm a 2nd year with a 3.4 GPA, and register for spring courses soon. I plan on taking Orgo II w/lab, Genetics w/lab (lab is required by my major, though not for most schools), either Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy (taught by a professor I really don't mesh with) or a 300 level Principles of Ecology course, and most likely an Intro to Art course to cover my fine-art pre-req (it's an art history course) which puts me at 16 hours for the semester. 16 hours is manageable to me without killing me considering I work 25-30 hours a week outside of school, however I really want to take a creative writing course because I legitimately enjoy writing and I'm on a full tuition scholarship, so why not?

So here's my question: If I do take creative writing, I would take it over the summer along with Animal Nutrition, as suggested by my honors adviser. While it would definitely boost my GPA, I don't want institutions to look at me taking that class as a GPA padding. It just happens to be a class I want to take. Would it look bad for me to take this course, even though during the spring semester I'm taking science courses and (hopefully) doing well in them?

Going to revive this old thread in order to ask a question.

I'm a 2nd year with a 3.4 GPA, and register for spring courses soon. I plan on taking Orgo II w/lab, Genetics w/lab (lab is required by my major, though not for most schools), either Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy (taught by a professor I really don't mesh with) or a 300 level Principles of Ecology course, and most likely an Intro to Art course to cover my fine-art pre-req (it's an art history course) which puts me at 16 hours for the semester. 16 hours is manageable to me without killing me considering I work 25-30 hours a week outside of school, however I really want to take a creative writing course because I legitimately enjoy writing and I'm on a full tuition scholarship, so why not?

So here's my question: If I do take creative writing, I would take it over the summer along with Animal Nutrition, as suggested by my honors adviser. While it would definitely boost my GPA, I don't want institutions to look at me taking that class as a GPA padding. It just happens to be a class I want to take. Would it look bad for me to take this course, even though during the spring semester I'm taking science courses and (hopefully) doing well in them?
A creative writing course won't affect your science GPA, which is usually what most vet schools weight the most. It could definitely help your cGPA. We all have to take gen eds to get degrees, and many of those are considered GPA padders...so don't stress, especially if you enjoy it. I took a few classes I didn't have to just to maintain full time while finishing up my degree, I don't think it had an effect on anything but my cGPA.

I do want to mention that a semester with Orgo, genetics, and a comparative anatomy course sounds rough (although that's just from how I did in undergrad with the same courses, even during different semesters). credit # isn't the issue, it's the particular mix of courses, you know? Just my two cents!

A creative writing course won't affect your science GPA, which is usually what most vet schools weight the most. It could definitely help your cGPA. We all have to take gen eds to get degrees, and many of those are considered GPA padders...so don't stress, especially if you enjoy it. I took a few classes I didn't have to just to maintain full time while finishing up my degree, I don't think it had an effect on anything but my cGPA.

I do want to mention that a semester with Orgo, genetics, and a comparative anatomy course sounds rough (although that's just from how I did in undergrad with the same courses, even during different semesters). credit # isn't the issue, it's the particular mix of courses, you know? Just my two cents!

I hadn't even thought about how my classes would mesh with each other. Do you think the ecology course would be too terrible?

I hadn't even thought about how my classes would mesh with each other. Do you think the ecology course would be too terrible?
Really, based on talking to my vet school classmates, each university has different takes on the same pre-reqs. My genetics course was the 2nd worst class I had taken, others said their school's genetics was a breeze even though the same concepts were probably covered. I'd talk to people who go to your school and see what they think about these courses. The same class can change a lot between two different professors as well. If you happen to go to Michigan State, I can give you a lot of input!

I took a 300 level Ecology course, and while it was a good amount of work, the concepts weren't exactly difficult. It could be totally different at your school.

Really, based on talking to my vet school classmates, each university has different takes on the same pre-reqs. My genetics course was the 2nd worst class I had taken, others said their school's genetics was a breeze even though the same concepts were probably covered. I'd talk to people who go to your school and see what they think about these courses. The same class can change a lot between two different professors as well. If you happen to go to Michigan State, I can give you a lot of input!

I took a 300 level Ecology course, and while it was a good amount of work, the concepts weren't exactly difficult. It could be totally different at your school.

Unfortunately I live in Kentucky, so no Michigan State! I see what you mean about the different courses - I remember having taking an environmental science course at the private college in my hometown and it was a breeze compared to any class (except English and comm) that I've taken at my current university. Thank you so much for your insight - it's definitely put me at ease!