GPA Calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fbradley99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
PharmCAS calculates ALL grades no matter how many times repeated. Its up to the individual schools to see if they recalculate it taking the higher grade or not.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

PharmCAS calculates ALL grades no matter how many times repeated. Its up to the individual schools to see if they recalculate it taking the higher grade or not.

Sorry for the bump! Didnt want to make a new thread...but does anyone know if PharmCAS calculates non-credit courses? I took a introductory math class and a chem class that didnt count towards college credit. They were more to review and were not calculated in my official gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the bump! Didnt want to make a new thread...but does anyone know if PharmCAS calculates non-credit courses? I took a introductory math class and a chem class that didnt count towards college credit. They were more to review and were not calculated in my official gpa.
If its no credit, aka pass/no pass then it isnt calculated towards your GPA.

If its no credit, aka pass/no pass then it isnt calculated towards your GPA.

Well it wasnt a pass/fail course, I actually did get a grade...but it was not considered college credit because it was under 100 level and was not calculated into my gpa....most students took it either to review material or they placed low enough on a math placement exam that they needed to take the class in order to move onto the next class.

Yup that's right. I would say most schools would recalculate your gpa using the higher grade

How do the schools recalculate the GPA for repeated courses? I mean does pharmcas do it for them or do you have to ask the school to do it for you or is it automatic? also is there a list of schools that are willing to recalculate the gpa using only the newer class? i looked on pharmcas and tried searching couldn't find anything. thanks

How do the schools recalculate the GPA for repeated courses? I mean does pharmcas do it for them or do you have to ask the school to do it for you or is it automatic? also is there a list of schools that are willing to recalculate the gpa using only the newer class? i looked on pharmcas and tried searching couldn't find anything. thanks

If the school takes only the higher grade, they will do it automatically for everyone. PharmCAS has nothing to do with it. To see if that's the case with your prospective school, you'll probably have to call them or set up an advising appointment.

If the school takes only the higher grade, they will do it automatically for everyone. PharmCAS has nothing to do with it. To see if that's the case with your prospective school, you'll probably have to call them or set up an advising appointment.

The thing is I've been trying to find out this answer for quite some time, so i called the school and the adviser told me they do take only the repeated grade as part of the calculation, i called back a few days later and spoke to another adviser to confirm and he told me no they take both the original and the repeated grades as part of calculation, so now I am completely in the dark about how they calculate it, is there any way to be certain? Also one more question, is there any way to find out my Pre-requisite GPA? I am assuming it varies from school to school as the Pre-reqs are different is this correct? and will the school tell me what they re-calculated it as if i call them? Thanks

You really can't be certain. Bear in mind that GPA is only a part of the admission equation. Also, in Pharmcas GPA, they can see your GPA when you were a freshman, soph, junior, senior, post bac, and grad school. If you have an upward trend in GPA, then that is good enough.

Also one more question, is there any way to find out my Pre-requisite GPA? I am assuming it varies from school to school as the Pre-reqs are different is this correct? and will the school tell me what they re-calculated it as if i call them? Thanks

To calculate this, go to the school's pre req list and input your grades in a GPA calculator such as this one: http://gpacalculator.net/college-gpa-calculator/
IF you repeated a course, put both of them. The result is your pre-req GPA.

I highly doubt they will they will tell you your pre-req GPA since they are busy reading and judging applications.

Good luck!