GPA cut-offs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cole10101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I apologize if this has been asked before but I don't think it has.

I am getting ready to submit my application and I noticed a few schools say students should have a 3.2 cGPA and sGPA to receive a secondary. I have a ton of credits (two undergrad degrees and a post-bacc program), and I didn't do well when I got my first degree from 2012-2016, which left with me a cumulative GPA of 3.15. My sGPA from my post-bacc classes are a 3.5 and my sGPA with my post-bacc classes plus science/math courses I took in undergrad is 3.35 (I got Cs in Algebra and Statistics in 2012 and 2013 so I'm hoping they don't hold this against me too much). Obviously my GPAs aren't good, but now I'm wondering if I would be straight up wasting my time applying to schools that say applicants must have a 3.2 cGPA and 3.2sGPA because of my 3.15 cGPA. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say no- those schools usually have strict cut offs and they will just toss your application (I'm pretty sure VCOM is one of those schools), I might reach out to schools you are interested in that have those guidelines and ask an admissions representative about your situation. That is probably your best bet!

Reactions: 1 user
I would say no- those schools usually have strict cut offs and they will just toss your application (I'm pretty sure VCOM is one of those schools), I might reach out to schools you are interested in that have those guidelines and ask an admissions representative about your situation. That is probably your best bet!

Hi, thank you for the response! VCOM is actually one of the schools I was thinking of applying to, so that is really good to know. I appreciate the answer! I will definitely look into contacting an admissions rep.

Thank you again!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you hear of any schools that have a hard cut off, I would definitely try calling and asking them. I asked a few schools that said on their website there was a cutoff, but over the phone they told me they don't strictly cut at that GPA, but noted other parts of the app would obviously have to stand out more.

If you hear of any schools that have a hard cut off, I would definitely try calling and asking them. I asked a few schools that said on their website there was a cutoff, but over the phone they told me they don't strictly cut at that GPA, but noted other parts of the app would obviously have to stand out more.

Thank you for the advice! I didn't know if that was frowned upon, but now that two people have given me that advice, I definitely feel more confident in calling. Thank you!

I know all 3 Touros are strict about their gpa/MCAT cutoff, also VCOM and Campbell.

So I contacted all of the schools I was concerned about, but I do have a question about VCOM. Two people have said that they require a 3.2. However, I have written down in my notes that they require a 3.2 in the last 120 hours. Does anyone know how accurate this is? I'm not even sure where I found that and it is definitely not in the application service.

So I contacted all of the schools I was concerned about, but I do have a question about VCOM. Two people have said that they require a 3.2. However, I have written down in my notes that they require a 3.2 in the last 120 hours. Does anyone know how accurate this is? I'm not even sure where I found that and it is definitely not in the application service.
this is straight from the VCOM admissions page on their website:

VCOM places emphasis on the science and required courses as well as the last 120 credit hours when choosing competitive applicants.

• Applicants must achieve at least a 3.2 science and cumulative grade point average.

Reactions: 1 users
this is straight from the VCOM admissions page on their website:

VCOM places emphasis on the science and required courses as well as the last 120 credit hours when choosing competitive applicants.

• Applicants must achieve at least a 3.2 science and cumulative grade point average.

Ahh, yep, you're right! The 120 credit hours is what is important to me in my situation as I easily have well over a 3.2 in my past 120 credit hours. Appreciate it!