GPA, MCATs, and how many school you plan to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zurned

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i dunno hwo many schools i should apply to. I'm just wondering about ur stats and how many you plan to try for. I wouldnt wanna spend too much money if its not necessary but im afraid i wont get in if i apply to too little. Thanks alot!

Members don't see this ad.

gujuDoc said:
Funny you should say this. I talk to ASDIC who is planning to go to NJMS in the fall. Anyhow, he always tells me that NJMS has awesome hospitals and really impressive. He interviewed at both and said that he liked NJMS better then RWJ. RWJ I've heard is more research focussed.

Whenever he talks about those two schools, it sounds like the equivalent of USF vs. UF in Florida because there are many similarities between NJMS and USF.

That said, if you want some perceptions on this, you might want to go to allo where the new C/O 2009 thread on NJMS is.

Thanx for ur advice. I actually have already been checking out that c/o 2009 thread and it just makes me even more excited to join the school next year (hopefully -keeping my fingers crossed).

JayQuah said:
Hey Guju,
Thanks for the input. Home state is CO. Definitely had the improvement in the GPA...I was at a 2.3 middle of my sophomore year, worked hard on some other stuff, and retook a O Chem class for a much better grade. How much should the undergrad halo effect matter? MCAT (11-12-12) proves that I know the science material?
Thanks!

I think you'll be fine and get in somewhere since you showed improvement and because your MCAT helps some what to make up for your lower GPA. Just make sure the rest of your application is solid and good to go. Join the AMCAS 2006 thread if you have specific application questions. Oh and for the record, I know quite a few people with the 3.0-3.2 and 35-37 MCAT kind of stories getting accepted, so you should be ok.

Good luck and get it turned in early as possible.

americanidiot said:
Gujudoc, i'm looking at you for this one...you seem like the man with the plan!

stats:

i'm non-URM, reapplicant (applied for 2005-2006), BCPM: 3.09, Non-science: 3.46, TOTAL: 3.35

MCAT: V9, PS8, BS10, Q

home state: michigan

here are my schools...any suggestions for additions?
Drexel University College of Medicine
Meharry Medical College
Michigan State University
Morehouse School of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Temple University School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine (my undergrad)
University of Michigan Medical School
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine

thanks bro

Guju's a girl, actually

Members don't see this ad :)
Turkeyman said:
Guju's a girl, actually

ha! Thanks for correcting him. I totally didn't catch that he referred to me as a man.

How you been turkey??? Your app done or are you working on it??

Here goes:

I'd like to know if I should apply to schools like Hopkins, Cornell, NW (Top 15 schools). Maybe a hard question to answer, but any input would be helpful.

Non-trad (I already posted there)

1998 graduate of UNC-Chapel Hill 3.0 gpa. I worked for the National Outdoor Leadership School and several other outdoor institutions over the past 5 years. I was a professional ski patroller for the last 3 winters (I received a national award for saving a skiers life) before starting my postbacc. Ski patrolling is where I found my interest in medicine. Many other experiences.

NC resident

I took all 8 prereq classes over the last year and got A's in all of them, I worked in a genetics lab and should have a publication before too long and I volunteered in a local ER. I just got my MCAT score (34!) and this is why I am asking my question. I felt that if I got a 34+ I should apply to top tier schools. So I have a bunch of awesome EC's, a 4.0 postbacc, 3.25 cum gpa, 3.5 BCPM and a 34 MCAT. Whadaya think?

Applying to UNC, ECU, Wake. SLU and Drexel. What about Penn, Pitt, Stanford, Hopkins, NW, U Chicago, Columbia/Cornell?

registered user said:
Here goes:

I'd like to know if I should apply to schools like Hopkins, Cornell, NW (Top 15 schools). Maybe a hard question to answer, but any input would be helpful.

Non-trad (I already posted there)

1998 graduate of UNC-Chapel Hill 3.0 gpa. I worked for the National Outdoor Leadership School and several other outdoor institutions over the past 5 years. I was a professional ski patroller for the last 3 winters (I received a national award for saving a skiers life) before starting my postbacc. Ski patrolling is where I found my interest in medicine. Many other experiences.

NC resident

I took all 8 prereq classes over the last year and got A's in all of them, I worked in a genetics lab and should have a publication before too long and I volunteered in a local ER. I just got my MCAT score (34!) and this is why I am asking my question. I felt that if I got a 34+ I should apply to top tier schools. So I have a bunch of awesome EC's, a 4.0 postbacc, 3.25 cum gpa, 3.5 BCPM and a 34 MCAT. Whadaya think?

Applying to UNC, ECU, Wake. SLU and Drexel. What about Penn, Pitt, Stanford, Hopkins, NW, U Chicago, Columbia/Cornell?

Maybe UChicago and Upitt might give you some love. Also, Vandy might give you some love. But the others, I'm not sure. However, if you think you really want to go to a top school, its always worth the try. You never know what may happen and might regret it if you didn't apply to your dream schools too. So take a long look through MSAR at what the schools require and maybe talk to some admissions people there and explain your situation and see if it is worth a shot. That's my advice. The good thing is that you have a good Postbac gpa and BCPM, so that might help if you are considering top tier schools.

Since you are in NC and are considering top tier schools, are you going to consider DUKE???? I would talk to someone at DUKE and see what they say about the possibility of getting accepted there with your application profile.

gujuDoc said:
Maybe UChicago and Upitt might give you some love. Also, Vandy might give you some love. But the others, I'm not sure. However, if you think you really want to go to a top school, its always worth the try. You never know what may happen and might regret it if you didn't apply to your dream schools too. So take a long look through MSAR at what the schools require and maybe talk to some admissions people there and explain your situation and see if it is worth a shot. That's my advice. The good thing is that you have a good Postbac gpa and BCPM, so that might help if you are considering top tier schools.

Since you are in NC and are considering top tier schools, are you going to consider DUKE???? I would talk to someone at DUKE and see what they say about the possibility of getting accepted there with your application profile.

Thanks guju. Do you think my two state schools and 2 "safety" schools are enough? Doesn't Duke require 2 semesters of calculus?

registered user said:
Thanks guju. Do you think my two state schools and 2 "safety" schools are enough? Doesn't Duke require 2 semesters of calculus?

In regards to the question about Duke, it does indeed require 2 semesters of calculus. Harvard also requires two semesters of calculus.

In regards to the safety schools question, that depends on how many schools you want to apply to.

If you want some ideas of safety schools: Rosalind Franklin, Albany, and NYMC are what some considers the safety schools.

Also, not really a safety school but if you are considering applying in the North east, then some schools to consider are Michigan schools and Ohio state or some NY schools. Look through the MSAR, which can be bought at Amazon.com or the aamc website. It can also be obtained by contacting your school advisor, school library, or possibly a medical school library(if you are close to a med school).

If you order one off amazon, it will probably get to you faster since you can do 2 day shipping.

gujuDoc said:
ha! Thanks for correcting him. I totally didn't catch that he referred to me as a man.

How you been turkey??? Your app done or are you working on it??

I'm still working on it -- in fact I'm being so lazy to finish my PS. I'm a failure in life!!!!!1111. Jk, but I didn't feel like doing ANY work after this semester ended.
Hopefully if I get my PS done by Tuesday or Wednesday, it might be possible for the AMCAS to be processed by July 1st -- definitely the first week of July though.

Btw, I was wondering how much of the applicant population applies June/July, know anything about those stats? With my GPA I need to get that stuff in ASAP!

Turkeyman said:
I'm still working on it -- in fact I'm being so lazy to finish my PS. I'm a failure in life!!!!!1111. Jk, but I didn't feel like doing ANY work after this semester ended.
Hopefully if I get my PS done by Tuesday or Wednesday, it might be possible for the AMCAS to be processed by July 1st -- definitely the first week of July though.

Btw, I was wondering how much of the applicant population applies June/July, know anything about those stats? With my GPA I need to get that stuff in ASAP!

i heard that after july 4th, its peak season, so get your app turned in the week before if you can.

gujuDoc said:
I think you'll be fine and get in somewhere since you showed improvement and because your MCAT helps some what to make up for your lower GPA. Just make sure the rest of your application is solid and good to go. Join the AMCAS 2006 thread if you have specific application questions. Oh and for the record, I know quite a few people with the 3.0-3.2 and 35-37 MCAT kind of stories getting accepted, so you should be ok.

Good luck and get it turned in early as possible.

Hey Guju,
Sorry to keep pickin your brain about this, but what do you think about MD/PhD? I've told others that you have nothing to lose if you think you can get some love at least somewhere, its just I am tryin to get my app in as soon as possible, and I don't know what to fill with the 10,000 word limit on the other essays. Have you heard anything about the emphasis that the programs will put on the MD/PhD essay and the research experience essay?

GPA: 3.34
Science: 3.24
MCAT: RETAKING but 19O

28-29 schools: 9 DO and 19-20 MD

jtank said:
i heard that after july 4th, its peak season, so get your app turned in the week before if you can.

Thanks for that info, I'm gonna get my butt in gear.

How's your app going btw?

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall GPA: 3.25
BCPM GPA: 3.10

MCAT: 34R (10ps, 13v, 11bs)

My first two years undergrad were horrible, however in my junior, senior and post-bacc years were much better, with a overall gpa around 3.6 and science gpa of 3.7. I'm an Ohio resident and applying to the following schools:

Dartmouth (advisor's suggestion, not sure why)
George Washington
Tufts
Boston U
U Chicago
Rosalind Franklin (Finch)
Loyola Stritch
Temple
Drexel
Case Western Reserve Univ (working for the next year in one of their research labs)
Ohio State
U of Cincinnati
Wright State
Univ. of Pittsburgh
Virginia Commonwealth

Since my GPA is so low I've been concerned about applying to some of the better schools. I'm also considering retaking the MCAT in August. My practice tests were all 34-36, however the ps and bs sections were typically 12s and 13s, with a lower score in verbal, quite the opposite of how I actually performed. Wondering what you thought of my schools now given my current stats and your thoughts on retaking the MCAT. Thanks

Hey, new to this forum. My stats are as follows:

Overall: 3.2 (bad freshman year)
BCPM: ~3.4
MCAT: 36Q
B 12 V 13 P 11
URM

I'm a Florida Resident, took a few years off after my freshman year, worked as an EMT, ER Tech, and in a drug rehab.

Applying to:
Albany Medical College
Boston University School of Medicine
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Florida State University
George Washington University School of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Howard University
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Meharry Medical College
New York Medical College
New York University
The University of Miami School of Medicine
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School
University of Florida
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University of South Florida College of Medicine

greendot said:
Hey, new to this forum. My stats are as follows:

Overall: 3.2 (bad freshman year)
BCPM: ~3.4
MCAT: 36Q
B 12 V 13 P 11
URM

I'm a Florida Resident, took a few years off after my freshman year, worked as an EMT, ER Tech, and in a drug rehab.

Applying to:
Albany Medical College
Boston University School of Medicine
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Florida State University
George Washington University School of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Howard University
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Meharry Medical College
New York Medical College
New York University
The University of Miami School of Medicine
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School
University of Florida
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University of South Florida College of Medicine

If you showed improvement, which it seems you did, they'll take that into consideration. Plus you have a stellar MCAT score, so you should be ok since you are applying early. Your list looks pretty solid as far as I can see, and your ECs are good.

As far as USF goes, if you have specific questions talk to Mr. Larkin who posts on here as REL or by emailing him. The other Fl schools have equally good admissions staff willing to help. Since you are a Fl. resident, I think you're lucky because we are fortunate to have for MD schools with really really helpful admissions people and 98% Fl residents over out of state residents.

Good luck.

gbbdoc said:

My first two years undergrad were horrible, however in my junior, senior and post-bacc years were much better, with a overall gpa around 3.6 and science gpa of 3.7. I'm an Ohio resident and applying to the following schools:

George Washington
Tufts
Boston U
U Chicago
Loyola Stritch
Temple
Drexel
Case Western Reserve Univ (working for the next year in one of their research labs)
Ohio State
U of Cincinnati
Wright State
Univ. of Pittsburgh
Virginia Commonwealth

Since my GPA is so low I've been concerned about applying to some of the better schools. I'm also considering retaking the MCAT in August. My practice tests were all 34-36, however the ps and bs sections were typically 12s and 13s, with a lower score in verbal, quite the opposite of how I actually performed. Wondering what you thought of my schools now given my current stats and your thoughts on retaking the MCAT. Thanks

Retaking the MCAT would be a mistake. If you want to do something to make yourself more competitive, a SMP (Special master's program) is a better option.

You'll get to take 1st year med classes as a grad student and show your worth by competing with med students. Georgetown, BU, NJMS, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, and now USF have such programs.

They are 1 year programs too. So give applying a shot this year, and if no luck occurs, do a postbac or SMP program. However, 34+ is a solid MCAT score to make up for a slightly lower gpa. Don't take the test from hell again. You can improve your application in other ways.

As per reach schools, I would include a few just because a dream is a dream. However, be practical and apply to all of your state schools plus enough safeties. I'm sure you've already looked at MSAR, so no need to reiterate that to you. Good luck.

JayQuah said:
Hey Guju,
Sorry to keep pickin your brain about this, but what do you think about MD/PhD? I've told others that you have nothing to lose if you think you can get some love at least somewhere, its just I am tryin to get my app in as soon as possible, and I don't know what to fill with the 10,000 word limit on the other essays. Have you heard anything about the emphasis that the programs will put on the MD/PhD essay and the research experience essay?

If you are applying MD/PhD, I would put an emphasis on past research and future aspirations within research. However, specific information on MD/Phd stuff is something you might find in one of the forums down below. I think they have a forum on here for MD/PhD's somewhere down below the premed and med student forums.

gujuDoc said:
If you showed improvement, which it seems you did, they'll take that into consideration. Plus you have a stellar MCAT score, so you should be ok since you are applying early. Your list looks pretty solid as far as I can see, and your ECs are good.

As far as USF goes, if you have specific questions talk to Mr. Larkin who posts on here as REL or by emailing him. The other Fl schools have equally good admissions staff willing to help. Since you are a Fl. resident, I think you're lucky because we are fortunate to have for MD schools with really really helpful admissions people and 98% Fl residents over out of state residents.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input. I'll get in touch with REL.

jtank said:

That would make sense, because 2 days later, is when schools start looking at applications and what not. Then soon after the first secondaries will be sent out to people.

Jezzielin said:
GPA: 3.34
Science: 3.24
MCAT: RETAKING but 19O

28-29 schools: 9 DO and 19-20 MD

if i was on an admissions committee i would say yay. being a great doctor who treats humans is for the most part governed by gut-that inner drive that in the end saves more lives than the "dude" that got 35 on the mcat.

good luck Jezzielin

Turkeyman said:
Thanks for that info, I'm gonna get my butt in gear.

How's your app going btw?

i just have PS to finish by friday when spring quarter grades are out, submit then.
good luck. :luck:

okay, here i go:

science gpa 3.35
non science 3.47
overall 3.39

mcat 35R

i'm applying to 20 schools in CA, NYC, and Boston. I'm non-trad (getting my phd, older applicant), so i am applying to a huge range of schools, and trying to have a few safeties in each location. we'll see how it goes :)

overall: 2.8
post bacc: 3.98 (50+ hours)
mcat: 40 O (ps 14, vr 13, bs 13)
ec's: Shadowing a radiologist, surgeon, and IM doc. Voulenteer at an elderly home.

That 2.8 scares the hell out of me so I applied to about 30 different schools.

gbbdoc said:

George Washington
Tufts
Boston U
U Chicago
Loyola Stritch
Temple
Drexel
Ohio State
U of Cincinnati
Wright State
Univ. of Pittsburgh
Virginia Commonwealth

Your list looks good. If you like the looks of the schools at NY, I would also consider some of the several NY schools, including the better NY schools like NYU and URochester and Mt. Sinai. The low tier NY schools being Albany and NYMC. Also AECOM is another school to consider. But look in the MSAR before making decisions on either of those schools. I've seen luck with a lot of Florida applicants at those schools, in particular NYU, NYMC, and Albany. But all of the above, take a good amount of out of staters, so I would look into them.

The good thing that will help you is:

A. You have a good MCAT score to make up for any GPA deficiencies.
B. You show a trend of increasing GPA, which is what adcoms hope to see.

I don't know your ECs, but if they are good and the rest of your application is solid, there's a high chance you'll be getting in somewhere this year. If you don't get in right away, a special master's program may be helpful for helping improve the GPA situation by showing that you can handle first year med school coursework. BU, Gtown, Finch, NJMS, and Drexel have such programs.

However, since you are applying early and have a good MCAT, that might be overlooked.

Oh and as an Ohio resident, apply to MEDICAL COLLEGE OF OHIO!!!!!!! That school has cutoff marks of 3.0 and 24, and is mainly an instate school, so you may have a huge chance there (being that you are an OH reisdent).

Other than that, your list looks good.

StreetGenius said:
if i was on an admissions committee i would say yay. being a great doctor who treats humans is for the most part governed by gut-that inner drive that in the end saves more lives than the "dude" that got 35 on the mcat.

good luck Jezzielin

While this is true, you have to realize that many schools have cutoffs that they use to screen. USF (Fl state school) and MCO (Ohio state school) have cutoffs for the MCAT.

Some other schools may not have cutoffs for the MCAT, but they will expect at least in the 20's even if you are a URM.

Don't assume that URM will work as an excuse to get you in somewhere.

I had a good friend, who had 12's on her sciences and a 4 in verbal. Overall 28MCAT and 3.9 GPA. She was a Haitian African American (URM) but didn't get anywhere because of her verbal score.

Most URM's that I have known had at least in the mid 20's on their MCAT, and their status as URM wouldn't mean exceptions. Another URM I knew had your score and the adcom(who himself is an African American) refused to even talk to her until she got at least the minimum. At most DO schools they require at least a 21 now a days. Even LECOM-Bradenton which took persons with as low as a 14 and 17 will no longer look at people unless they have at least a 21.

You should retake the MCAT and show that you are willing to take it again until you can get at least a 24+ and hopefully even better to a 27-30+ range, to show your drive towards medicine.

Someone else said that the key to beating the MCAT is in how you approach it. Don't look at it as a burden but as a stepping stone to your future and allow your failure's to result in an opportunity to learn and see where you went wrong and improve your score. Then apply. Applying one year later isn't going to hurt you, and might actually be more beneficial. In that year, you can take extra classes and show that you are willing to do whatever possible to make yourself a good applicant. You can volunteer, and do some clinical stuff, etc. That's my personal opinion.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but you need to retake this test and do your best to improve to mid 20's at the minimum to be competitive for a US MD/DO school.

GPA = 3.55
MCAT = 30P

Applying to 20 schools.
Remember...all it takes is that ONE acceptance!!!!!

aliendroid said:
MCAT: 37Q
Post Bac. 3.95 GPA

I'm only going for 6 schools here in Texas. Is that too few?

As far as GPA/MCAT goes, you're in GREAT shape! I'm contemplating TX schools, got a few relatives there. Good luck!

aliendroid said:
MCAT: 37Q
Post Bac. 3.95 GPA

I'm only going for 6 schools here in Texas. Is that too few?

Just out of curiousity.......

How come you arent' considering any of the top 10 schools and IVY league schools????? With your MCAT/GPA, there's definitely a good chance if you have a good application in other areas.

6 schools don't seem to be too few. i actually had a friend that applied to only one school and got in. I think you'll be fine for the Tx schools with those stats if everything else is ok. But how come you aren't considering any of the better top10 and top20 schools???? you might get in and with good financial aid packets.

Long time lurker here - looking for advice on my school list.

Stats: BCHM 3.95 AO 3.93 Overall 3.94
MCAT 27P
VA resident

Schools:
Univ of Virginia
Eastern VA med school
Medical college of VA
Drexel
Vanderbilt
Tufts
U Penn
U Conn
U Maryland
Wake Forest
NC State
Emory
Boston Univ

????????????

wrknhard123 said:
Long time lurker here - looking for advice on my school list.

Stats: BCHM 3.95 AO 3.93 Overall 3.94
MCAT 27P
VA resident

Schools:
Univ of Virginia
Eastern VA med school
Medical college of VA
Drexel
Vanderbilt
Tufts
U Penn
U Conn
U Maryland
Wake Forest
NC State
Emory
Boston Univ

????????????

Do you have great ECs? I think Boston, Tufts, and Wake Forest are worth a shot. I think their average MCAT range is 31-32. But you have a great GPA and if you have awesome ECs and interview well, you could get in. Not too sure about Emory, Penn, and Vandy...they're all very competitive schools with average MCATs in the 33+ range, so you'd be well below their average MCAT. But again, you never know.

safeflower said:
Do you have great ECs? I don't know that you'd be competitive at Boston, Tufts, or Wake Forest. I think their average MCAT range is 31-32. But you have a great GPA and if you have awesome ECs and interview well, you could have a shot for sure. Not too sure about Emory and U Penn, Vanderbilt...they're all super competitive schools with average MCATs in the 33+ range. But again, you never know.

I mean I THINK I have great ECs??? Free clinic volunteer pricking fingers and such for like 150 hours, working as an UR for 2 years, work 30 hours a week as a general manager at one of my college's dining centers for 2 years, a couple weeks for 2 summers in a 3rd world country on a medical missions team... I mean, i cant frikin fit anything else into my life - but my mcat score scares the crap out of me - i just cant take it again though

wrknhard123 said:
I mean I THINK I have great ECs??? Free clinic volunteer pricking fingers and such for like 150 hours, working as an UR for 2 years, work 30 hours a week as a general manager at one of my college's dining centers for 2 years, a couple weeks for 2 summers in a 3rd world country on a medical missions team... I mean, i cant frikin fit anything else into my life - but my mcat score scares the crap out of me - i just cant take it again though

I agree these are great ECs. As a VA resident you should add VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University as well)

Also some schools to look into include, SLU, GWU, Albany, NYMC, Rosalind Franklin, Ohio State, etc.

These are some schools I would look into. Also a few of the other NY schools, and also the West Virginia schools if they have an MD school. I know they have a DO school, but if they have any MD schools, I would apply there.

Who knows, maybe UMaryland might be an option since you are so close to the Md. area. But you would have to look through MSAR to get a better idea. These are just suggestions.

gujuDoc said:
I agree these are great ECs. As a VA resident you should add VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University as well)

Also some schools to look into include, SLU, GWU, Albany, NYMC, Rosalind Franklin, Ohio State, etc.

These are some schools I would look into. Also a few of the other NY schools, and also the West Virginia schools if they have an MD school. I know they have a DO school, but if they have any MD schools, I would apply there.

Who knows, maybe UMaryland might be an option since you are so close to the Md. area. But you would have to look through MSAR to get a better idea. These are just suggestions.

Oops, I just realized that I said UMaryland should be added and realized you already had that on your list. My bad. :laugh:

gujuDoc said:

Hmmm, while I know I shouldn't be picky about schools in my situation - I really can't do Ohio due to family issues and Im not sure if I would be able to handle New York or D.C. since I've been in the mountains my whole life! Talk about culture shock... I just hope I get interviews so I can try and impress - my worst fear is being rejected before having that chance to really be able to talk to someone personally at each school. Whoever said this process is emotionally and financially draining hit the nail on the head.

wrknhard123 said:
Hmmm, while I know I shouldn't be picky about schools in my situation - I really can't do Ohio due to family issues and Im not sure if I would be able to handle New York or D.C. since I've been in the mountains my whole life! Talk about culture shock... I just hope I get interviews so I can try and impress - my worst fear is being rejected before having that chance to really be able to talk to someone personally at each school. Whoever said this process is emotionally and financially draining hit the nail on the head.

DId you add VCU to your list??????? At the very least, I would go ahead and add VCU being that its an instate school with an awesome reputation. I had some friends that said they would have gone there if they were to get accepted there.

Oh and the rest of your list looks good. UConn and NCstate might be a bit of a stretch because it takes mostly in state people, but always worth the shot.

UPenn might also be a bit of a stretch since it is one of the major IVY League top 10 schools. Again, a dream is a dream......so worth the shot.

However, the rest seem to look good. Like I said, if you live in VA, at the very least consider adding VCU to the list. As a VA school, you might have a good chance of getting in there being an in state resident.

gujuDoc said:
DId you add VCU to your list??????? At the very least, I would go ahead and add VCU being that its an instate school with an awesome reputation. I had some friends that said they would have gone there if they were to get accepted there.

Oh and the rest of your list looks good. UConn and NCstate might be a bit of a stretch because it takes mostly in state people, but always worth the shot.

UPenn might also be a bit of a stretch since it is one of the major IVY League top 10 schools. Again, a dream is a dream......so worth the shot.

However, the rest seem to look good. Like I said, if you live in VA, at the very least consider adding VCU to the list. As a VA school, you might have a good chance of getting in there being an in state resident.

Oh yea sorry, I definitely have VCU on there (Im from Richmond)-- I wrote it as Medical college of VA. Wow, didnt know UPenn was a top 10 or I wouldnt have added it! haha, well its worth a shot like you said ;)

wrknhard123 said:
Oh yea sorry, I definitely have VCU on there (Im from Richmond)-- I wrote it as Medical college of VA. Wow, didnt know UPenn was a top 10 or I wouldnt have added it! haha, well its worth a shot like you said ;)

Ok, sorry didn't realize that MCVA meant VCU. I've heard great things about VCU from a couple friends. One of my friends, just a had a friend that graduated from their and landed a residency at Washington University in St. Louis.

As per UPENN, it is in the top 5 research ranked med schools, but again a dream is a dream. I would always add one or two long shot schools even if the money is a waste, because you'll never know what could happen. Stranger things have happened in the past. :D :p