GPA overhaul/looking at KCUMB/general non-trad life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

austintr

5000 candles in the wind
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I posted my situation a while back and got some solid advice. Now, a bit of an update...
I royally screwed up my first couple of years at university. After three years or so, I was tired of spiraling into debt and wanted to get out and work to get some experience. So, I went to paramedic school. I did exceptionally well, and learned that if the subject matter is something I am truly interested in, I do exponentially better in class. Long story short, I went back to school part time, then full time, while working full time in EMS. I have about 4 years of experience in EMS with significant work projects/leadership/teaching, etc. My AACOMAS GPA has improved from s2.8/c2.9 to s3.3/c3.2 with three more retakes planned after graduation next month. The first time I took the MCAT (2009), I got a 30. Planning on retaking late summer and applying Septemberish. I don't really have much in the EC department outside of work related committees, etc. I do have about 60 hours of shadowing, looking to make it 80 prior to application, ~80% D.O. I have one D.O. letter and one M.D. letter available to me, and I'm looking for another D.O. to shadow/hopefully write a letter. In the midst of all of this, I'm moving to KC after graduation and have a job offer at a contract research organization that will conveniently mix my paramedic role with research, so that should be good. Further, my fiance and I are really wanting to buy a house, as it is the financially sound option, but that would be putting a lot of eggs in the KCUMB basket. TL;DR - Decent comeback story with room for improvement, does anyone have any personal experience with having marginal numbers and applying to KCUMB? I hear they look favorably upon good MCAT scores, but aren't quite as friendly in the "job experience" and general non-trad situation.

Members don't see this ad.

There's recent activity in the postbac forum on the KCUMB masters program(s). Look for postbac under interdisciplinary.