GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vet_Squared80

MSU CVM c/o 2022
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about figuring out your overall GPA. I was under the assumption that this included all courses you have ever taken. However, recently on an admissions tour at Michigan State, I was advised that they only go back a certain amount of years and do not include all classes you've ever taken. Also, for MSU, they no longer require an overall GPA, only the science and last 45 (plus your GRE). But I know I do have to include this on the VMCAS application. How do I know how far back to go? Also, does that mean certain classes that were taken over that threshold will no longer count?

Here's my background information to put my questions in context. I'm a nontraditional student. I graduated with a BA in 2005 (no science classes). In 2011, I started taking my science pre-reqs to apply to vet school. I know my science classes will be fine, however, I am worried about 2 things. One, my general education requirements are quite old. I was assuming that wouldn't matter since I received a degree, however, now I"m not so sure. Two, some of my undergraduate courses from that first degree were less than stellar. I don't mind if they aren't included, but I want to be as truthful as possible on my application and only include what is necessary. Any help would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

I would just fill in all of your coursework (ever) on VMCAS, submit your transcripts from all institutions and let VMCAS/MSU figure out how to calculate GPAs.

It's best to consult the schools you plan to apply to individually in regards to expired classes. Many have a five year window for a pre-req to be considered valid; they don't necessarily care if your Intro to Pottery class is fifteen years old, but they will care very much if your biology course is old. But it's all school dependent.

Fortunately, MSU sounds like it won't really care about your less than stellar first degree blemishes. It's still important to include those courses, especially if you're applying to other schools. But often people have no trouble explaining a few rough grades in their past when their current academic record is solid.

For the VMCAS student-reported GPA you take into account all taken/attempted courses (even the ones you retook). Each school is different and will have you recalculate your GPA using their rules for their supplemental app or they'll recalculate it themselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
School websites are the best resource for finding out how schools evaluate GPAs or older courses, because as the previous posters stated, each school does things a bit differently.

Some schools such as Mizzou have grade forgiveness policies where they will ignore grades taken X number of years ago, and I know Illinois at least waives gen ed pre-reqs if you already have a bachelors degree. If a school you're applying to won't consider courses from your first degree, you will have to retake any courses from that degree that you need as pre-reqs. It's annoying, but it can help if you didn't do so well in those courses the first time around.

And yes, include every course listed on your transcripts in your VMCAS coursework section, so that everything matches up when VMCAS verifies your transcripts.

Thanks for the replies. They are pretty much on target with what I was thinking. Thankfully all the science reqs are recent, so I don't have any worries there. I will probably have to make an appointment with one of the admissions counselors so I can go over things with a fine tooth comb before I submit my application. :)