GPA trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_MD123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just finished my last semester of college and was looking at my gpa trend throughout college. I just want to know what adcoms are going to think when they see my transcript. Started out with a couple of 4.0 semesters and then dropped to a 3.69 one term. Then I had a semester where I took orgo 1, human anatomy, and general bio and finished with a 2.75. (B's in anatomy and general bio 2 and C in Orgo 1.) Because of this semester, I decided to take a light to moderate load the rest of college to build my gpa back up while still maintaining my EC's. After that semester of 2.75, I had 4.0s the rest of the time which brought my GPA up to a 3.7 cumulative. Will Adcoms discount my upward GPA trend with my course loads? Just worried about this crapshoot called getting into medical school.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished my last semester of college and was looking at my gpa trend throughout college. I just want to know what adcoms are going to think when they see my transcript. Started out with a couple of 4.0 semesters and then dropped to a 3.69 one term. Then I had a semester where I took orgo 1, human anatomy, and general bio and finished with a 2.75. (B's in anatomy and general bio 2 and C in Orgo 1.) Because of this semester, I decided to take a light to moderate load the rest of college to build my gpa back up while still maintaining my EC's. After that semester of 2.75, I had 4.0s the rest of the time which brought my GPA up to a 3.7 cumulative. Will Adcoms discount my upward GPA trend with my course loads? Just worried about this crapshoot called getting into medical school.
AMCAS displays one's GPAs year-by-year and not term by term. That will help smooth out the depth of your dip in GPA. If you had a year or two of excellent GPAs after that bad semester, you have redeemed yourself. A cGPA of 3.7 is very good. What is your BCPM GPA? Did you take enough upper-level science to pull that back up also?

@Catalystik My BCPM is a 3.47 with Biochemistry and Cell Biology as upper div biological courses after that bad semester, however these were the ones that I could take because I wasn't a biology major and other upper division courses required different pre reqs then what I had.

@Catalystik My BCPM is a 3.47 with Biochemistry and Cell Biology as upper div biological courses after that bad semester, however these were the ones that I could take because I wasn't a biology major and other upper division courses required different pre reqs then what I had.
With the lower-than-average BCPM for allopathic acceptees, I expect your transcript will be looked at closely. The C in OChem I is moderated by the A in Biochem. Did you take OChem II as well and also earn an A (in which case, even better)? I should like to see more than two upper-level science courses, personally, but a strong MCAT score would allay my concerns.

And how "light to moderate" were your last four terms of course load?

@Catalystik I did take Ochem II and earned a B in lecture by the same professor, A in lab. My course load ranged from 12-14 the rest of the time. I wanted to maintain my long term ECs while making sure I could definitely do well. I still need to take the MCAT which I delayed so that I could continue my ECs, increase my GPA and then focus on solely studying for the MCAT after.

@Catalystik I did take Ochem II and earned a B in lecture by the same professor, A in lab. My course load ranged from 12-14 the rest of the time. I wanted to maintain my long term ECs while making sure I could definitely do well. I still need to take the MCAT which I delayed so that I could continue my ECs, increase my GPA and then focus on solely studying for the MCAT after.
Adcomms will look at your entire load, not just academic involvement.

When do you take the MCAT? When will you apply? Do you plan to take postbac coursework?

Adcomms will look at your entire load, not just academic involvement.

When do you take the MCAT? When will you apply? Do you plan to take postbac coursework?

I assume that would be a good thing? I plan to take the MCAT in April or May 2017 then apply in June 2017. I wasnt planning on taking postbac coursework unless I need to? Would I need to do an SMP?

1) I assume that would be a good thing?
2) I plan to take the MCAT in April or May 2017 then apply in June 2017.
3) I wasnt planning on taking postbac coursework unless I need to? Would I need to do an SMP?
1) Yes.

3) An extra year gives you some time to beef up your BCPM GPA, especially if you want to apply to more-selective schools. I don't suggest an SMP, just some additional upper-level Bio at a local college, earning all As, of course, or the investment of your time and money in postbac work does you no good. If your MCAT turns out to be less-than-strong, or you don't get an acceptance, you'll be sorry you didn't do more during this gap year to strengthen your application in every way possible.

@Catalystik Ok. How many do you suggest? Enough to get it into the 3.5 or 3.6 range? Could I pm you my ECs to see if there is work needed to be done there during the gap year as well? Sorry for the multiple question posts.

Hi all,

Thanks for the help!
Did you re take Organic and spank it? What about "bio" - why did you tank that? A 4.0 in Eastern religion won't help, but busting ass in the sciences AND being diversified will help.

@Catalystik1) Ok. How many do you suggest? Enough to get it into the 3.5 or 3.6 range? 2) Could I pm you my ECs to see if there is work needed to be done there during the gap year as well?
1) Why not check the MSAR for bottom tenth%tile for BCPM GPA at your target schools, and aim for a number above that (though, in general, 3.6 seems like a good goal).

2) My PM box is closed, but feel free to tag me from your WAMC thread and I'll be happy to look over your ECs. If you want to keep them private, you can delete them again after.

Did you re take Organic and spank it? What about "bio" - why did you tank that? A 4.0 in Eastern religion won't help, but busting ass in the sciences AND being diversified will help.

I didnt retake orgo 1 because I was advised on here and other sources that 1 c wouldnt be bad especially if i did better in orgo 2 which I got a high B in. The B in bio was the result of trying to pull up Orgo 1 while taking anatomy which was probably the dumbest mistake Ive ever made.

@Catalystik Regarding post-back work, would I need to delay my application if I can't take all of the courses prior to applying or could I update the application with my new courses after I send in the primary application?

@Catalystik Regarding post-back work, would I need to delay my application if I can't take all of the courses prior to applying or could I update the application with my new courses after I send in the primary application?
AMCAS doesn't allow updates to the transcript, so once you submit and get verified, it will remain unchanged. And all med schools don't allow update letters. Even for those that do, your GPAs will not be recalculated. That said, if your application GPA is where you want it to be, there is no bar to continuing with coursework after submission, even prerequisites (at most schools, but there are a handful of exceptions).

TMDSAS does allow one to update coursework after it is entered into the application and submitted. They also require new transcripts showing new grades earned. Whether a recalculation is done or colleges informed of changes, I don't know.

AACOMAS allows transcript updates at certain intervals during the application season.

I didnt retake orgo 1 because I was advised on here and other sources that 1 c wouldnt be bad especially if i did better in orgo 2 which I got a high B in. The B in bio was the result of trying to pull up Orgo 1 while taking anatomy which was probably the dumbest mistake Ive ever made.

Realize that SDN will give you ridiculously biased answers, everyone is "perfect" and without perfect scores you'll never get in... Not true. Take your advice here with a grain of salt. I will make the point that (I have not taken the "New" MCAT) learning the material is critical. Being able to assimilate and study at a rapid rate is clutch in medical school. I kinda sucked at it actually, but did just fine on the MCAT and my boards.

These tests and "benchmarks" are not only a proving ground, but they are an indicator to YOU whether or not this is a reasonable choice in professions. MD, DO, whatever, you can make a difference in healthcare by many routes. This forum is typically MD-centric, so don't get discouraged, also, please don't get caught up in the hype that you need to be MD/DO to positively influence health care. Stay mobile, stay 'plastic' and go with it. Keep your options open and keep the hope alive.

@LabMonster You make a good point. I plan to get my science gpa up and score well on the MCAT which I think will be the deciding factor on admission to medical school.