GPA/University of Miami Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgrnspc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got an email for the University of Miami to "initiate the review of my amcas..." and I went to their website to browse their requirements, etc. when I saw this:

Non-Florida Residents

Residents of states other than Florida must have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.6. Post-bac and graduate GPAs are not considered for non-Florida residents.​

According to this I don't qualify (my undergrad gpa is lower than a 3.6) but I was wondering if they were strict with this rule. Does anyone have any previous experience with UM? Do they really uphold this?

I have a very high graduate GPA, are they really not going to consider it?
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

sgrnspc said:
So I got an email for the University of Miami to "initiate the review of my amcas..." and I went to their website to browse their requirements, etc. when I saw this:

Non-Florida Residents

Residents of states other than Florida must have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.6. Post-bac and graduate GPAs are not considered for non-Florida residents.​

According to this I don't qualify (my undergrad gpa is lower than a 3.6) but I was wondering if they were strict with this rule. Does anyone have any previous experience with UM? Do they really uphold this?

Usually they will let it slide if you are relatively close to the cut-off. Especially if your MCAT is strong. The admissions office is very helpful, just give them a call.

sgrnspc said:

Non-Florida Residents

I really hope they do!

Members don't see this ad :)
i emailed them about the same thing and they said it is fairly strict, if they can round up to get to 3.6 then its fine so if your like a 3.55 you should be good. Dont know anything about graduate GPA and how they view it since it dosent apply to me. good luck

i had a friend last year with an overall GPA of 3.56 and MCAT of 33. flat out rejection from miami because of their out of state policy. sorry to rain on your parade..just want to help you save the extra $30

I thought that the pre-screen AMCAS with a computer, but I'm not sure where I got that from. If this is the case it's probably fairly strict.

Call and ask directly, giving them your GPAs. They will give you a direct answer, and if the person on the phone doesn't, try to speak to Dr. Hinkley (he is the director of admissions). Everyone says he is EXTREMELY kind and helpful (I go to UM for undergrad).

The impression that I have gotten from the premed committee and med students is they still favor Florida residents a lot. Although UM is a private university, the medical school has some funding through the state of Florida. They used to not take any out of staters, then they started to take a few, then Shalala (the president of UM) has initiated getting them to further lax their policies to allow bright out of staters to attend (I think about 1/3 of the class is now from out of state).

Calling out Arsenic, if he's reading preallo.

This is something he may be able to check with Dr. Hinkley on, for all of you all.

Good luck.