Gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am deciding on what should be my next step into becoming a vet; I am planning on taking all the pre-req courses, I don't know whether I should just get another science degree (i.e. biology) or just enroll in one of those pre-vet programs.

I have an engineering degree with a GPA of 3.0, according to the University of Saskatchewan's website, it states "All university work undertaken is considered when evaluating academic performance". I am worry that my low GPA will ruin my chance, so if I get another science degree, are they still gonna count my low engineering GPA? Please help, GPA always confuse me. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am deciding on what should be my next step into becoming a vet; I am planning on taking all the pre-req courses, I don't know whether I should just get another science degree (i.e. biology) or just enroll in one of those pre-vet programs.

I have an engineering degree with a GPA of 3.0, according to the University of Saskatchewan's website, it states "All university work undertaken is considered when evaluating academic performance". I am worry that my low GPA will ruin my chance, so if I get another science degree, are they still gonna count my low engineering GPA? Please help, GPA always confuse me. Thanks in advance.

I believe your engineering GPA will still count even if you get another science degree. I think it is better to take your pre-reqs and do very well in them. Most schools usually weigh the pre-reqs and most recent grades heavier so that would work to your advantage. Also it is normal to have a lower GPA for engineering majors. You can also explain your situation in your personal statement. It is doable so good luck! I studied Chem Engineering when I first started and I had 2Fs and 1 C.....I pulled up my grades when I switched to a microbiology degree and was accepted to PEI. Best of luck!

Thanks darren1228, very encouraging! I have a few more questions for you, it's kinda personal, ao excuse me, but what was your final GPA (even includes that 2Fs and 1C)? I did quite well in some courses, but overall, I don't well that good, I mostly get Bs and Cs, a few As here and there. When you look at my transcript, I wouldn't be too impressed, ha. Also, did you have extensive vet experience? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks darren1228, very encouraging! I have a few more questions for you, it's kinda personal, ao excuse me, but what was your final GPA (even includes that 2Fs and 1C)? I did quite well in some courses, but overall, I don't well that good, I mostly get Bs and Cs, a few As here and there. When you look at my transcript, I wouldn't be too impressed, ha. Also, did you have extensive vet experience? Thanks in advance.

No problem! I'm here to help...I totally know how it feels when you are staring at those alphabets and thinking if it'll ruin your dreams. My overall GPA was around 3.36 with the 2Fs and 1C. If you took those out it would've been around 3.66 (yeah a huge difference 3 classes can make :(). So far I've only been accepted to PEI, waitlisted at Michigan and rejected from all the other US schools. Still waiting to hear from U of Melbourne and U of Massey. My vet experience was not very extensive. Basically only small animals for around 500hours.

That's amazing! Your case certainly gives me a sense of hope, I am about to start my own quest of becoming a vet, but whenever I stare at my transcript from engineering, I just can't help but feel like I shouldn't try at all. Though your GPA is really impressive (even with that 2Fs and 1C), I certainly have more Cs than you, I guess I will try my hardest to up my grade by doing extremely well in all the pre-req courses. One last thing, how you do in your MCAT/GRE? Again thank you so much!

That's amazing! Your case certainly gives me a sense of hope, I am about to start my own quest of becoming a vet, but whenever I stare at my transcript from engineering, I just can't help but feel like I shouldn't try at all. Though your GPA is really impressive (even with that 2Fs and 1C), I certainly have more Cs than you, I guess I will try my hardest to up my grade by doing extremely well in all the pre-req courses. One last thing, how you do in your MCAT/GRE? Again thank you so much!

I scored 1260 with 4.5 for the writing part. One thing I recommend is to apply to schools in Australia, the UK, and New Zealand. They put more emphasis on pre-reqs (chemistry, biology, physics) and the GRE so that would work to your advantage.

I thought about Australia, but I was concerned about tuition, as an international student, it costs about $40,000 a year.

I thought about Australia, but I was concerned about tuition, as an international student, it costs about $40,000 a year.

I believe they have fees in Australian dollars....so that'll be about $30,000. Still not cheap but cheaper :(

I'm from Taiwan so it'll be the same for me whether in Canada or in Australia. Good luck and feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

I just can't help but feel like I shouldn't try at all.

If this is what you really want, don't give up so soon!

While grades are important, there is more to an applicant than grades (according to some schools, at least :)). I also agree that your pre-req and recent grades will most likely give them a better picture of you as a vet school applicant.

I'd advise you to check out this years (and past years) "Successful Applicant" thread to give you an idea of the broad range in GPA/GRE/majors/experience/etc....as there are people who were accepted without having a 3.5+ or 1400+ GRE (myself included).

For this year: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=589279. Good luck!

Last edited:

I graduated from an engineering school with a 2.97 GPA. I then went back to school full times for another 50 or so credits to pull my GPA up to a 3.23 and landed myself a seat at OSU.

So its definitely not a lost cause.

Ditto to David594. I graduated with an Anthropology degree (2.99) and 4 years later re-enrolled in school to take science pre-reqs (3.7). I applied this year to UTK and got in . . .so don't discourage, it's definitely worth a shot if you really want to do it.

Some schools, like UPEI, only look at your grades in the required courses so I'm told.

Whether they give you an interview or not really only is based on your average of those 20 required courses, and your GRE scores.

I'm comforted to hear though that I'm not the only one with a few rotten apples on the ole transcript. Well, none all so terrible yet, but I can feel one coming.
I'm into the undergrad exam writing showdown and am hardly pleased with my thoughts on how I did so far.

This forum really rocks! All my friends have been discouraging me, they warn me that a lot of people spent years trying to get into medical school and it never ever happened. Then I found this forum, you guys gave honest opinion, helpful, I strongly believe that I really really want this and I can do this, I can pull my grade up, I have been hard at work in gaining more vet experience (while working full-time), like all of you pointed out, if one wants this bad enough, you can accomplish anything, again, I just want to thanks all of you.

oh, one more thing, University of Saskatchewan doesn't seem like it requires GRE, so does it mean they would focus only on my GPA and experience? Anyone from University of Saskatchewan? Thanks in advance!

From what I was told, UofS does the following breakdown:

-60% academics, using an equation factoring in your best full-time academic year (min. 5 courses/semester), and your overall cumulative average
-30% interview
-10% "special circumstances"

So if you do really well in your pre-reqs for a year, it would definitely help you in the process.

As for the "special circumstances", I'm also sure you could explain your situation there. There's a section on the application form for it.

Also, where are you from?

If you're an Alberta resident, you can also apply to the new University of Calgary vet school. Their application process is much less focused on academics (only about 30-40% weighting).

I believe they have fees in Australian dollars....so that'll be about $30,000. Still not cheap but cheaper :(

I'm from Taiwan so it'll be the same for me whether in Canada or in Australia. Good luck and feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Idk, i think $30,000 a year sounds really cheap compared to most other schools (unless it's your instate), right?

Idk, i think $30,000 a year sounds really cheap compared to most other schools (unless it's your instate), right?

i get the sense the OP is Canadian. Their IS (in-province) tuition is insanely affordable since it is subsidized. As a downside, I believe they can only apply to the Canadian vet school in which they reside, so to Canadians, 30k is a lot of cheese for tuition.

i get the sense the OP is Canadian. Their IS (in-province) tuition is insanely affordable since it is subsidized. As a downside, I believe they can only apply to the Canadian vet school in which they reside, so to Canadians, 30k is a lot of cheese for tuition.

Right you are.

Each vet school has a quota of seats for applicants from each province. For example, AVC has 42 of their 60 seats offered to Atlantic Canadians. They'll offer so many seats to NS, NB, PEI and NFL.

Another example, USask has has so many seats for BC, ALB, SASK and MB (will give seats to Northern Territories too if government will agree to back them up).

I reside in Alberta at the moment, however, I am thinking whether I will move to Vancouver next year. I am planning on going back to school full-time for all my pre-req, I have been considering whether I should go to schools with pre-vet program (i.e. Luther College of University of Regina) or go to any school (I want to attend UBC). The reasons being

- I want to get a part-time job as a vet tech, i think it would be harder to get that if I go to Regina, consider all the pre-vet students fighting for the same thing....
- I worry about being among all my competitors (though it may help too)

Though I do have some concerns

- should I contact USask about the list of "approved" course in UBC? or I should ask UBC? I don't want to take the wrong courses...

- if I move to Vancouver, would I be consider from BC? or Alberta? There are less seats from BC, so....

Thanks in advance!

- if I move to Vancouver, would I be consider from BC? or Alberta? There are less seats from BC, so....

Thanks in advance!

Depends- on how long you've been there, why you moved there... Usually, the school will outline a few guidelines with which they determine the province of residence of the applicant. I know with UPEI, it's written on their application form.

USASK will probably have something similar to that- or written on their website somewhere. Since province of residence is such a big thing with Canadian vet schools, they are pretty direct when they define this.