GPR at VA hospital vs GPR at large county med center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dc-10

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know how different a GPR at a VA hospital vs doing a GPR at a large urban medical center would be? Is it true at VA hospitals all you do is root canals on old men (good if you wanted to do endo I guess)?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that the VA is becomming a good GPR gig given the recent influx of the younger Desert Shield and Desert Storm Vets. Funding for endo, crowns, bridges etc is readily available for the Vets which is a better situation than a dental school environment in which the often seen low income patients seldom can afford those procedures. Don't know if the VA has become more enlightened regarding implants however.

dc-10 said:
Does anybody know how different a GPR at a VA hospital vs doing a GPR at a large urban medical center would be? Is it true at VA hospitals all you do is root canals on old men (good if you wanted to do endo I guess)?

wouldn't recommend a gpr unless you totally lack confidence or you want to specialize.
if you want to learn implants/endo/whatever...take CE from the best and still pocket $40K more dinero.

If you must, then there are many excellent VA programs.
The big negative, is you may not get little to keine pedo experience (maybe good for some folks)

Mr. So-So said:
wouldn't recommend a gpr unless you totally lack confidence or you want to specialize.
if you want to learn implants/endo/whatever...take CE from the best and still pocket $40K more dinero.

If you must, then there are many excellent VA programs.
The big negative, is you may not get little to keine pedo experience (maybe good for some folks)

It is important to check out the GPR's because they are not all the same. For example, one rotates its residents through a Regional/University Medical Center, a VA Hospital, and a Low Income Pedo Center.