GPR programs in Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

judi1218

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm relocating to Chicago and was wondering if anyone can share any info about the GPR programs at Jesse Brown VA med center and Advocate Illinois Masonic Med center. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I used to work at Jesse Brown VA GPR in Chicago and I can tell you it's a really good program. I finished my residency 3 years ago and I wish I knew about this program. The residents get to place and restore implants on their own (with supervision of course) but no "shadowing". There is no call, no prophies. There's lots of endo, crowns, and removable. The UIC oral surgery residents rotate but they don't take the GPR cases. And there is no shortage of extractions (lots of flaps too). The patients are medically complex so you learn the medicine too. But contact the program and talk to the residents, that's the best way to find out about the program.

I'm relocating to Chicago and was wondering if anyone can share any info about the GPR programs at Jesse Brown VA med center and Advocate Illinois Masonic Med center. Thanks!

The jb va is a great program, but very competetive. Must have been about 16-20 ppl in my class applied only one got a spot. A lot of crown/bridge and implant. Would be perfect for someone planning to be a general dentist with high production. Masonic this year is like 10/11 uic students (which should tell you something) and they still had spots well into march. I think it's a poor program. I did two d school rotations there and interviewed. I turned it down. Not a lot of implant. Pts are out of pocket. Its basically a lot of amalgams and endos. Most of the residents dont go on to specialize either, so dont think its a good resume builder. Rotations are just observing med students. The faculty are knowledgeable but annoying. If it wasnt in a good geographic location it would have no applicants.

But id be interested to hear an alum of the program Give some of the positives. I think you can get your sedation liscense, but the dental anesthesiologist was one of the most abrasive peole ive met.

Members don't see this ad :)
The jb va is a great program, but very competetive. Must have been about 16-20 ppl in my class applied only one got a spot. A lot of crown/bridge and implant. Would be perfect for someone planning to be a general dentist with high production. Masonic this year is like 10/11 uic students (which should tell you something) and they still had spots well into march. I think it's a poor program. I did two d school rotations there and interviewed. I turned it down. Not a lot of implant. Pts are out of pocket. Its basically a lot of amalgams and endos. Most of the residents dont go on to specialize either, so dont think its a good resume builder. Rotations are just observing med students. The faculty are knowledgeable but annoying. If it wasnt in a good geographic location it would have no applicants.

But id be interested to hear an alum of the program Give some of the positives. I think you can get your sedation liscense, but the dental anesthesiologist was one of the most abrasive peole ive met.

Ugh reading this makes me re-regret not being able to make the VA Jesse Brown interview... it was the only one I applied to in the city, but a friend of mine told me she heard it was a bad program? Anyway, for what it's worth I know 2 former residents at Rush in Chicago, and it seems like a very strong and competitive program as well.

After graduating from dental school, I choose to attended a general practice residency to determine if I wanted to specialize in a specific area and to broaden my overall skills in dentistry and increase my dental knowledge. My main areas of interest were in prosthodontics and oral surgery. Based on my personal interests, I choose Jesse Brown VA Medical Center. This past June, I completed my residency and feel grateful for my training and overall experience. Having grown up in California, I choose to apply to multiple programs through out the country, but accepted the position at Jesse Brown based on my personal interests. Chicago is an amazing place to live and I enjoyed the wonderful people I met and worked with. After completing my residency, I feel that I gained the additional skills and knowledge that I had desired. Highlights of my residency experience include over 500 extractions, tori removal, sinus lifts, placement and restoration of multiple dental implants, design and delivery of Cerec crowns, utilize a soft tissues laser, molar endo, and numerous removable and fixed prosthetic cases. I also gained exposure to medically compromised patients and performing surgery in the operating room. I would strongly recommend the Jesse Brown GPR program to any individual interested in prosthodontics, oral surgery, and endodontics. The dental clinic also has a periodontist, so one can gain exposure to perio surgery procedures if they are proactive and show interest. Having completed my residency, I have feel more confident as a general dentist and grateful for the experience I received.