GPR to Specialty Timing, SOS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CariesHunter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Currently in third year of dental school and in the process of applying to a GPR. I will therefore interview this fall when I am a fourth year dental student.

It seems like you would have to apply to a specialty for the year after your GPR when you are in fourth year and have not even begun your GPR/expanded your mind or skill set.

If you don't do it in this fashion do you have to do something else for a year, technically sit out for a year?

I would like to know when you apply for a specialty if you are doing a GPR, without taking a year off?

Any input would be appreciated.

CH

Members don't see this ad.

How are you in the process of applying for GPR in February? PASS doesn't open till May. If you want to do a GPR and then apply for a specialty, you apply for the specialty the year of your GPR. So, you can initiate your application in May, before your July GPR start date. You may (or may not) want to wait to send your applications until you have completed a few months at the GPR so that the faculty could write you letters. Or, you could get faculty letters from dental school and supplement them with GPR faculty letters sent directly to programs. Your application would be sent sometime in the fall of your GPR year and hopefully, you would interview that fall for positions the following year. You may want to find out if the GPR's you are looking at will give you time off to interview before you submit your rank list.

I am looking into GPR's, contacting the director's and residents. Is what I meant when I mentioned I am in the process of applying.
Aren't most of these residencies done with a rolling application?
I mean if 200 people apply, let's me honest most programs are going to look at the first one hundred applications maybe. With that being said they might not say they don't have a rolling application but they function in this matter
Why do you want to find out if the GPR's you are looking at will give you time off to interview before you submit your rank list?
Most of these programs give you days off. You can use them as you see fit. Or am I missing something? Thanks for the reply

Members don't see this ad :)
You could do what I'm doing -- go insane and do a 2-year GPR.

You could do what I'm doing -- go insane and do a 2-year GPR.

What one are you doing and what are you end goals? Are you worried about all the interest you'll aquire while in your gpr?

Hi

Currently in third year of dental school and in the process of applying to a GPR. I will therefore interview this fall when I am a fourth year dental student.

It seems like you would have to apply to a specialty for the year after your GPR when you are in fourth year and have not even begun your GPR/expanded your mind or skill set.

If you don't do it in this fashion do you have to do something else for a year, technically sit out for a year?

I would like to know when you apply for a specialty if you are doing a GPR, without taking a year off?

Any input would be appreciated.

CH

there is a thread on dental forum on why a GPR/AEGD... you are correct THIS IS THE TIME TO CHECK PROGRAMS OUT.... speak to current residents - they have been in the program for 8 months - in July the new residents may not be able to answer your questions.
Visit the programs, most directors would love to show you their program.

It fact, if you are near NY... Nov of your junior year should be the time you go to the greater NY meeting and the residency fair.

If you are near Chicago - the Special Care Dentistry is place to meet directors (April 1-3)

If Near San Diego - next week is ADEA, again many programs may be there.

Check them early, so you can make rigth choices,

What one are you doing and what are you end goals? Are you worried about all the interest you'll aquire while in your gpr?

Not trying to hijack this thread...

I'll be at the Richmond VA Hospital. Liked the program and it fits with my personal life needs right now. Long-term goals - going into pros. 3 more years after 2 years of GPR. EEK! Am I worried about my loans? I'm banking on IBR and 10-year VA/government payment forgiveness. I'm more worried about being an old man before I make my first honest cent. But other people do it, I love it, it'll work out :)