Grad or undergrad GPA in choosing schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beeboops

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm making my school list now, and I'm just wondering how I should be combining/not combining my undergrad GPA and my graduate GPA in terms of finding schools that match my stats. I have a 3.47 AMCAS calculated undergrad GPA and a 3.8 graduate GPA. Logic says I would average these two, but I have a feeling that medical schools value the GPAs differently. Basically, what GPA range should I be looking at when I'm trying to decide schools to apply to? Also, I suppose I should mention that I'm a 2nd time reapplicant and the graduate GPA is new since the last time I applied. How does this factor into the schools I should be looking at?

Members don't see this ad.

Combine them into a single GPA. Schools will see both ugGPA and gGPA. Some schools will pay less attention to the gGPA if it was a research MS or something non-science. But a SMP? There are schools that reward reinvention, along with a great MCAT.

Hey everyone,

I'm making my school list now, and I'm just wondering how I should be combining/not combining my undergrad GPA and my graduate GPA in terms of finding schools that match my stats. I have a 3.47 AMCAS calculated undergrad GPA and a 3.8 graduate GPA. Logic says I would average these two, but I have a feeling that medical schools value the GPAs differently. Basically, what GPA range should I be looking at when I'm trying to decide schools to apply to? Also, I suppose I should mention that I'm a 2nd time reapplicant and the graduate GPA is new since the last time I applied. How does this factor into the schools I should be looking at?

Members don't see this ad :)
Combine them into a single GPA. Schools will see both ugGPA and gGPA. Some schools will pay less attention to the gGPA if it was a research MS or something non-science. But a SMP? There are schools that reward reinvention, along with a great MCAT.
MD schools do not average, or incorporate at all, gGPA; it's viewed as a separate line item.

the grad GPA doesn't matter, but it's good that it's not low. if it's from a SMP, great. otherwise, use your uGPA when formulating your school list

Ah, I suppose I should've mentioned that it's an SMP-like program in that you take graduate level biomedical courses, but you don't get a masters at the end. I assume this changes how heavily my grad GPA is weighed then?

Also, I've seen you mention these schools that reward reinvention, and I'm curious as to which schools these are. I have an okay MCAT (30 8PS/10VR/12BS), which I know could hurt me at these schools, but I figure they're worth a shot.