Grad school as a FM physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glyscene

Reaction score
Is it possible to get a job in FM such that I could be working full or part time while also attending grad school for something unrelated to medicine? Could I negotiate a contract that allowed for time off from clinic for class in full time? Or alternatively, one that was only 2-3 days per week in a part time scenario? I am fully aware this would be remarkably stressful and that the general read in the room will be that this is a bad idea. I am less concerned with if this is a good idea and more concerned with if it is even possible at all. If it isn't, is there any specialty where it would be? Thanks in advance for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes definitely. Graduating from family med residency gives you TONS of flexibility in regards to what your career looks like and how many hours you work.

Members don't see this ad :)
people do it all the time. I’ve known people getting their masters after residency. I even had a colleague who did law school post residency As well!

Yep but at the income FM docs make, you'd be foregoing 1-200k per year in order to attend grad school if you only did 2-3 days of clinic per week. It's a far greater opportunity cost for an FM doc to do grad school than for somebody that NEEDS the graduate degree to get a job (ie. PhD scientist). That said, lots of docs do an MBA online or in the evenings so it doesn't interfere with their earning potential or day job.

I am doing a master's during residency/fellowship and they are all evening classes which works with my clinic schedule. A lot of jobs I have come across are also eager to have docs have occasional evening or weekend clinics to increase availability for patients, which would give you the flexibility to have class during business hours if that was needed.

Arizona State has a lot of graduate degrees online for affordable amounts