Grad School Dropout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studyspud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a student in the first year of my PhD studies, but I realized when I chose straight PhD instead of MD/PhD that I made a huge mistake.
I took the MCAT in june of 2011 (so it should be good for 1 more cycle right?) and got a 34S. (PS11 VR11 BS12). I have probably about 50 hours of nonclinical volunteering, all of which is in an area for which I have passion and can talk about at length (STEM education in rural/underrepresented populations.) While this was very nice, I learned a lot and will continue to do whether or not I get into med school, it is not any type of 'clinical' volunteering. Furthermore, I will probably only have around 40-50 hours of clinical shadowing (cardiothoracic and plastic surgery). My LoRs and grades are good (4.0 UG 4.0 graduate).
The problem: is my failed foray into academia going to destroy my chances? I have plenty of good reasons for dropping my PhD and should be able to make it out with a MS in the spring of 2014, which would set me up perfectly to start in the fall of 2014. Furthermore, my research experience (thousands of hours, 2 second author pubs, one on the way) clashes with my clinical experience (~50), which will make it hard to explain why I quit something that I had LOTS of knowledge about for a field that I have barely explored.
My questions:
1. Is the 50ish hours enough shadowing to convince an admissions board that I have put plenty of thought into this? I can talk at length about why I don't want a PhD, and I can explain why I think the Master's is something that will help me make an impact in my field (with clinical research and logical thinking process). I can explain all the parts about medicine that intrigue me and why I think I'd be a good fit (although it's trite- I really do want more personal contact, think I'm good with people, and want to have a bigger impact on patient care than I would in a lab).

2: It's possible that I have an application that doesn't mention that I started a PhD, and that I am into my master's (which I have recently 'downgraded' to), should I? I don't want to seem like I'm 'hiding' anything
Also, forgot to mention that due to the experience I have had and the way research is going, I won't be applying MD/PhD, just MD.

Members don't see this ad.

Phew, that's a tough question. I believe you have all the requirements for a good candidate. You mentioned that you can talk at length about why you didn't want a PhD, so I would recommend putting that information into some talking points, instead of a long story.

Sorry my reply is brief, as I am in-between classes.

I'm a student in the first year of my PhD studies, but I realized when I chose straight PhD instead of MD/PhD that I made a huge mistake.
I took the MCAT in june of 2011 (so it should be good for 1 more cycle right?) and got a 34S. (PS11 VR11 BS12). I have probably about 50 hours of nonclinical volunteering, all of which is in an area for which I have passion and can talk about at length (STEM education in rural/underrepresented populations.) While this was very nice, I learned a lot and will continue to do whether or not I get into med school, it is not any type of 'clinical' volunteering. Furthermore, I will probably only have around 40-50 hours of clinical shadowing (cardiothoracic and plastic surgery). My LoRs and grades are good (4.0 UG 4.0 graduate).
The problem: is my failed foray into academia going to destroy my chances? I have plenty of good reasons for dropping my PhD and should be able to make it out with a MS in the spring of 2014, which would set me up perfectly to start in the fall of 2014. Furthermore, my research experience (thousands of hours, 2 second author pubs, one on the way) clashes with my clinical experience (~50), which will make it hard to explain why I quit something that I had LOTS of knowledge about for a field that I have barely explored.
My questions:
1. Is the 50ish hours enough shadowing to convince an admissions board that I have put plenty of thought into this? I can talk at length about why I don't want a PhD, and I can explain why I think the Master's is something that will help me make an impact in my field (with clinical research and logical thinking process). I can explain all the parts about medicine that intrigue me and why I think I'd be a good fit (although it's trite- I really do want more personal contact, think I'm good with people, and want to have a bigger impact on patient care than I would in a lab).

2: It's possible that I have an application that doesn't mention that I started a PhD, and that I am into my master's (which I have recently 'downgraded' to), should I? I don't want to seem like I'm 'hiding' anything
Also, forgot to mention that due to the experience I have had and the way research is going, I won't be applying MD/PhD, just MD.

I think you'll be fine. You do have to list all courses completed (or attempted), but if you're at the same grad school for your masters as you were for your PhD, there may not be any distinguishing factors on your transcript to indicate that you dropped the PhD and opted to "downgrade" to the masters. So on AMCAS you'll just look like any other graduate student . However, I think you can spin your situation into a positive explanation for "why MD?". Say that you were pursuing a masters with intention of going the PhD route, but due to your experiences and "the way research is going" (whatever that means), you have decided on a clinical career instead. That way you aren't being disingenuous about your situation and you won't have to worry about any possible stigma related to quitting a program.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, I think you'll get interviews, but they're going to be the hard part. I forsee you getting grilled over your PhD fiasco. BUT, we do understand that people realize at times they've made to wrong choice, and Medicine is the thing you want to do.

However, the hard part for us is separating you out into the "dedicated" pool, vs the pool of "those that are going to jdecide again that they made a wrong choice and drop out."

Dedication does count for something.

I think you therefore need to show more dedication and interest in this life choice you've made, and that it's not superficial. So, I recommend that you double your hours of shadowing AND get some serious patient contact exposure. It doesn't all have to be in a hospital, but you do need to show us you want to be around sick and injured people.

Lie on your application and you might as well set fire to it. The schools will find out that you started a PhD program, and omitting this info on an application is the same thing as lying.

First, I think you'll get interviews, but they're going to be the hard part. I forsee you getting grilled over your PhD fiasco. BUT, we do understand that people realize at times they've made to wrong choice, and Medicine is the thing you want to do.

However, the hard part for us is separating you out into the "dedicated" pool, vs the pool of "those that are going to jdecide again that they made a wrong choice and drop out."

I think you therefore need to show more dedication and interest in this life choice you've made, and that it's not superficial. So, I recommend that you double your hours of shadowing AND get some serious patient contact exposure. It doesn't all have to be in a hospital, but you do need to show us you want to be around sick and injured people.

Lie on your application and you might as well set fire to it. The schools will find out that you started a PhD program, and omitting this info on an application is the same thing as lying.

Thanks for your input. These are the questions I really needed answered, because I've had advisors essentially tell me that because I came in right after undergrad that I'm not a PhD candidate until qualifying exams are passed, at which point you are awarded an MS or continue for the PhD. Judging by your tone, it seems like I don't even want to let people consider doubting my sincerity for even a second, so I'll just be make those parts of my application as transparent as possible. Shadowing and volunteering will be a big part of my
spare time anyway since exposure is going to be important to my personal development regardless.
Thanks again for your help, I'll make sure to communicate everything as clearly as possible

Thanks for your input. These are the questions I really needed answered, because I've had advisors essentially tell me that because I came in right after undergrad that I'm not a PhD candidate until qualifying exams are passed, at which point you are awarded an MS or continue for the PhD. Judging by your tone, it seems like I don't even want to let people consider doubting my sincerity for even a second, so I'll just be make those parts of my application as transparent as possible. Shadowing and volunteering will be a big part of my
spare time anyway since exposure is going to be important to my personal development regardless.
Thanks again for your help, I'll make sure to communicate everything as clearly as possible