Grade Elimination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GlitterNinja

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have never posted here but I was wondering if anyone had ever gone through the 6yr grade elimination offered by Missouri and Illinois, or if any other schools offered it. I'm a non-traditional student, currently 26 and will probably be 27 or 28 by the time I apply. I went to CC right out of high school but was also the manager of a small business. As I got older I realized that business management wasn't for me (I'm no good at being mean to people). I took some time off of school and started again as a Bio major 2 years ago.
With my grades that are 6 or more years older my GPA is 2.8. If I don't include those it's a 3.1 which I know is still low for vet school. I am still getting my GPA up but I have about 50 credits of work that is over 6years old (only 2 classes need to be taken for pre-reqs) and I know the less the credits I have the easier it can be to raise my GPA. So my question I guess is what is the process of the grade deletion for anyone who has done it? And do the schools ever see that old GPA?
Thanks!
Ashley

Members don't see this ad.

I've never gone through it, but my understanding is that once that GPA is gone, it's gone. It's not used against you. However, you mention that you don't like to be mean to people. Not that you have to be mean to people in vet med, but do you have issues being assertive or a team leader? It's a skill you'll need, but it is highly learnable none the less.i had to learn it too, so I just wanted to make sure I touched on it. Your GPA is still low, but like you say it'll be easier to raise with those old credits dropped. 3.4 is the minimum competitive at many places. You may also want to consider schools that look at last 45 and peeress rather than cumative GPA, if those are higher. Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!
I have never posted here but I was wondering if anyone had ever gone through the 6yr grade elimination offered by Missouri and Illinois, or if any other schools offered it. I'm a non-traditional student, currently 26 and will probably be 27 or 28 by the time I apply. I went to CC right out of high school but was also the manager of a small business. As I got older I realized that business management wasn't for me (I'm no good at being mean to people). I took some time off of school and started again as a Bio major 2 years ago.
With my grades that are 6 or more years older my GPA is 2.8. If I don't include those it's a 3.1 which I know is still low for vet school. I am still getting my GPA up but I have about 50 credits of work that is over 6years old (only 2 classes need to be taken for pre-reqs) and I know the less the credits I have the easier it can be to raise my GPA. So my question I guess is what is the process of the grade deletion for anyone who has done it? And do the schools ever see that old GPA?
Thanks!
Ashley

I emailed Kathy Seay at Mizzou and asked her about it a couple weeks ago. Here's what I got: "Hello *m24ca* . The six year elimination means that we count nothing but the past six years. AP, dual credit, nothing from outside that time frame would be considered. All sixty hours of course pre-reqs would have to be completed, or something equal to it, within the six year window."

So for Mizzou at least, what you've got at that 6-year mark is what they see. That said, don't underestimate what you're up against if you're at a 3.1 with 50 hours. If you get a 4.0 across another 50 hours, you're looking at a 3.55 cumulative. If you can rack up some science classes to boost your science GPA while maintaining a 4.0 across those last 45, you could make yourself pretty solid.

Depending on the state of your science GPA, your willingness to do more science classes, your ability to swing an A in them, and a realistic idea of how well you'll do on the GRE math, it may be worth considering Davis. They don't care about your cumulative. http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/students/admissions/criteria.cfm
Here's the calculator is you want to mess around with it to see what your science GPA will look like depending on how many hours you take and what score you get: http://www.coastal.edu/registrar/cumgpacalcRepeatForgive.html?numcourses=6#calc

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!
Thanks!
Ashley
I claimed scholastic amnesty at my university, UNO. Even though I was granted amnesty, the grades remain on my transcript with a note saying the grades are not included in my GPA. The problem is that my vet school, LSU, doesn't recognize the amnesty. It doesn't count against me as I have retaken the courses and they were so long ago. However, there were comments in my folder review about it. I had to explain it on my application. Also, VMCAS doesn't recognize the amnesty either. They include it, regardless, in your overall GPA. You may want to check how your vet school handles forgiveness programs, if they do at all.

I emailed Kathy Seay at Mizzou and asked her about it a couple weeks ago. Here's what I got: "Hello *m24ca* . The six year elimination means that we count nothing but the past six years. AP, dual credit, nothing from outside that time frame would be considered. All sixty hours of course pre-reqs would have to be completed, or something equal to it, within the six year window."

So for Mizzou at least, what you've got at that 6-year mark is what they see. That said, don't underestimate what you're up against if you're at a 3.1 with 50 hours. If you get a 4.0 across another 50 hours, you're looking at a 3.55 cumulative. If you can rack up some science classes to boost your science GPA while maintaining a 4.0 across those last 45, you could make yourself pretty solid.

Depending on the state of your science GPA, your willingness to do more science classes, your ability to swing an A in them, and a realistic idea of how well you'll do on the GRE math, it may be worth considering Davis. They don't care about your cumulative. http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/students/admissions/criteria.cfm
Here's the calculator is you want to mess around with it to see what your science GPA will look like depending on how many hours you take and what score you get: http://www.coastal.edu/registrar/cumgpacalcRepeatForgive.html?numcourses=6#calc
This. Anyone considering any elimination or 'forgiveness' options needs to realize this. I had a friend use a forgiveness option, and she failed to realize her gen chem pre-reqs would be automatically tossed (even though she did fine in that sequence). Auto reject, she failed to meet the requirements.

I claimed scholastic amnesty at my university, UNO. Even though I was granted amnesty, the grades remain on my transcript with a note saying the grades are not included in my GPA. The problem is that my vet school, LSU, doesn't recognize the amnesty. It doesn't count against me as I have retaken the courses and they were so long ago. However, there were comments in my folder review about it. I had to explain it on my application. Also, VMCAS doesn't recognize the amnesty either. They include it, regardless, in your overall GPA. You may want to check how your vet school handles forgiveness programs, if they do at all.

We're talking about programs set by the vet school admissions itself. No one honors any sort of gpa fudging that your undergrad does, the actual grades on your transcript is all that matters and each vet school will calculate their set of GPAs based on their own formulas.

This. Anyone considering any elimination or 'forgiveness' options needs to realize this. I had a friend use a forgiveness option, and she failed to realize her gen chem pre-reqs would be automatically tossed (even though she did fine in that sequence). Auto reject, she failed to meet the requirements.

Yup. Luckily, Mizzou's pre-reqs seemed designed to facilitate the forgiveness option. As long as your biochem requires organic chemistry, you're pretty well set, and none of the biology requirements are specific classes. http://cvm.missouri.edu/prep-undergrad.htm

I'm honestly really impressed with the setup. It looks like they're going out of their way to give people who developed scholastically a fighting chance.