Grade Replace and Post Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trytogetby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reading through some forums I keep seeing people mention grade replacing lower grades. How is this done? Is it just repeating the course? ( I thought med schools just averaged your two grades if you retook a course). I sadly got a C in OChrm, but my school had a policy that didn't allow you to retake a course unless you got a C- or lower....

Also, how helpful are post backs in terms of increasing med school entry? I know that obviously you get what you put in, so assuming that one does well in a Post Bacc program, how much of a boost would that be?

How can you determine what your cGPA and sGPA are? I struggled and had to retake calculus a couple of times so I am terrified to think how much that lowered my sGPA... Sorry if these are all noob questions. If there are links to previous posts answering these q, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Grade replacement is DO schools only. Take the same course and the most recent score will be counted. I do believe they will count the most recent even if it's lower. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. MD schools will just count both the original and the retake. A post-bacc will not replace grades because it won't be the same course.

My school had the same policy, but I still retook it. Had to take an extra course, but man that A looked nice.