Grade Replacement (Retake Courses at Community College)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jj1445

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I attend a CUNY school in New York and am interested in attending an osteopathic medical school in the future. I would like to retake my general chemistry and general biology course which I received a D+ in. However, CUNY policy states that students cannot retake classes that they already passed (and this policy applies to all CUNY schools). Does anyone know of any community colleges in NYC that I can retake these two classes? Also how does the process work when you want to retake classes at CC (do you have to apply for degree at the community college)?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello im a CUNY student also. CUNY will let you retake, if your cuny first account wont let you please get a manual override from your respective department chair. Financial aid wont pay tho. GOOD LUCK.

Edit, forgot to mention if you want to take a class at another CUNY CC college just apply for an epermit to take a class at another school no 2nd degree or anything... or you can always take a class at westchester community college a bit up north if you have a car. Also please choose carefully where you take your classes. Just because its at a community college dont think it will be any easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello im a CUNY student also. CUNY will let you retake, if your cuny first account wont let you please get a manual override from your respective department chair. Financial aid wont pay tho. GOOD LUCK.

Edit, forgot to mention if you want to take a class at another CUNY CC college just apply for an epermit to take a class at another school no 2nd degree or anything... or you can always take a class at westchester community college a bit up north if you have a car. Also please choose carefully where you take your classes. Just because its at a community college dont think it will be any easier.

Thank you so much for your help. I will email the chair of the science department and ask if he can override the policy.