Grade Replacement: SH vs. QH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jellybean13

wiked
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really confused about grade replacement because my undergrad used Semester Hours and the school I am currently taking classes at uses Quarter Hours.

Does this make a difference in terms of replacing the grade?

For example, I want to replace Genetics but my first class was 5 semester hours while the replacement was 5 qh (3.33 sh). Does this just mean that the retake grade will be weighed a bit less heavily into my sGPA?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Posting again here for people who might see this thread.

I emailed AACOMAS because I'm in the same situation as you: undergraduate school was on the quarter system, my local community college where I'm retaking classes is on the semester system.

They replied by asking for links to the course descriptions for both classes. After they looked over the descriptions, they responded that the new grade might be replaceable, or they would have to split the courses. I asked what it means to split the courses and didn't really get much of an answer. I'm not sure if this means averaging the two grades. Maybe you can try asking and see if you have better luck. (In the AACOMAS application, after logging in: click "Support" at the top of the page --> "Send Message"). Let us know if you get a more clear answer.

I am really confused about grade replacement because my undergrad used Semester Hours and the school I am currently taking classes at uses Quarter Hours.

Does this make a difference in terms of replacing the grade?

For example, I want to replace Genetics but my first class was 5 semester hours while the replacement was 5 qh (3.33 sh). Does this just mean that the retake grade will be weighed a bit less heavily into my sGPA?

Thanks!

It means they will not replace the grade. Sorry. Comes up pretty consistently and from what I've seen no one has been successful in getting a grade replaced that does not go by the rule of equal or greater units. The second genetics class will be included in your sGPA as a new course as any other science class would

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar question. I took Intro Bio which was divided into a 2 cr lab and 2 cr lecture (4 total credits/semester) for two semesters. I have almost completed 2 semesters of 4 cr bio (lab and lecture are together, 8 credits total). has anyone had a similar situation to this for DO grade replacement?

I have a similar question. I took Intro Bio which was divided into a 2 cr lab and 2 cr lecture (4 total credits/semester) for two semesters. I have almost completed 2 semesters of 4 cr bio (lab and lecture are together, 8 credits total). has anyone had a similar situation to this for DO grade replacement?

The credits are equivalent so I would imagine this would be ok. I would attempt to list the lab/lecture divided one both with the designation of R01 and the equivalent single course as L01 (last retake) and see what happens. Call them or e-mail them when the application opens and check to see what they say. They may request the syllabus or course description of the courses but I'd imagine they'd be ok with this.