Grade trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tatabox80

Super-Duper Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering about grade trends. I know that downward trend looks bad and upward trend is good, but what if it's somewhere in between.

First year 3.6 both semesters
Second year 4.0 both semesters
Third year 4.0 both semesters
Fourth year 3.48 first semester 3.67 second semester

I know none of these grades are really bad, but is this really a questionable downward trend? My first year was terrible...I was extremely unhappy at the school I was at and transferred. Fourth year, Organic lecture and lab was 6 cr. first semester, and 4 cr. second semester. Got b's in all. I had a decent amount of science classes throughout all four years. Is this something I should be concerned about? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think you have much to worry about. you had one semester under a 3.5 which still you were very high. i think you are a fairly competitive applicant. you made a 4.0 for half your college career. your overall gpa is very high (its near a 3.8 i think, correct me if i am wrong). asked a question about grade trend once cause my first semester of freshman year i did extremely well, and the second semester i dropped .4 pts but it was still decent. a person responded and said that when they talk about upward trend is when students who bombed their first year and you never did that. i dont think you have much to worry about. hope that helps, and good luck.

it seems like you have a good trend, no noticeable downward trend - fyi, i like your name too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why "tatabox80" and not "tatabox20"?? Isn't a TATA box about
25 base pairs from the site of transcription? Just a thought. .;)

don't worry i had my grade dips in junior year, probably the worst time to have it. in both semesters i couldn't break 3.5

having 2 years of 4.0 should be good enough to keep you afloat! :)

Originally posted by JulianCrane

I would bet that tatabox was born in 1980.

Hi! :)

I'm new to SDN and would like help on a problem. I also have a grade trend problem, but seeing that most people are worrying whether their upward trend will help them, i'm a little worried if my DOWN trend will hurt me.

basically, I had around a 3.8 cum first year, then a 3.7 cum soph, and now a 3.6 at the end of my junior. I basically took too many classes and when mcat season hit, i couldn't keep up. Currently my sci gpa is at 3.7, even though that has also dropped some since freshman year. I have a 32R mcat. Do you guys know if that drop will hurt me??

Any input is appreciated, Thakns! :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by JulianCrane

You would be correct! I remember my friends and I thought it was kinda funny how something in cell bio class had the word tata in it...made us think of dirty things:oops:

Yeah, my friends and I have similar jokes about the TATA box:laugh: