Grades honestly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CAvalley2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I just graduated from undergrad with a b.s in biology with a 2.8 solid overall gpa. I've read many threads about retaking prerequisites to increase my gpa in order to be more competitive for pa school but I honestly don't know if its even worth applying because now im just trying to get into the bare minimum and thats already virtually impossible for me to get in. I have 3 Cs and 1 D in science courses that are not prerequisites. My bad grades record can be rooted back to my freshman year. I was a pretty decent student in high school, over a 4.0 gpa but when i got to college i became unorganized, wrapped up in my social life(because in highschool I never went out or partied), and lost grasp of my goal of getting into p.a school. After getting my first bad test grades in certain classes I thought i had time to bring my grade up by the time the next exams rolled around but i didn't realize how fast time had gone by and before it knew it was too late. I even changed my major to nursing at one point but i knew thats not what i wanted to do. I was young, still am, and unlike most people it took me all of that too realize that I should've had a better grasp on schoolwork. Toward my senior year i knew i had already dug myself into a deep hole and it was too late to turn back so i was just focused on graduating and began to lose more motivation. I already have student loans to take care of in another 6 months and I don't want to waste anymore time or money if my shot is completely gone. I still would need to find a job to get clinical experience, take the GRE, and take biochem. I just wanted some constructive criticism on what I should do in taking the next step? Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like the boat I'm in. I'm hoping to finish with a 3.2 cGPA and a 3.5 sGPA since i have a year left and my current gpa is 2.8. In Cali, we don't need to take the GRE to get into a PA program like Touro but the clinical patient contact experience is important. I plan on taking a quick EMT course and start getting the 160 hours needed...which is probably what you need to do. Honestly, I would just check off what you have and then apply. If you don't get in during your first cycle, try again or go back for a Masters while working with the degree you already have. Most masters programs are 6 units max for a couple years and you can get a 4.0, and if anything have something great to fall back on. Just my .02 since we're kinda in the same boat.

Everyone messes up. If you bounce back and get >3.7 from here on out it looks good. Shows you can kick yourself in the ass and get it done. I applied with a 3.63 cgpa and 3.5sgpa plus 1600 hours of hce. Got into a top 3 program and two others. I'm a 30 year old high school dropout. If I can do it anyone who gives a damn can.

Reactions: 1 user