Graduate 3 years undergrad, get into dental at 21?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

broccolikash

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on graduating undergrad in 3 years (I've been taking summer classes so that I will have enough credits to graduate). Would it be better to just take what would have been my senior year off as a gap year, or should I apply the summer after my second year and go to dental school immediately after graduating? (assuming I get into somewhere of course)

Members don't see this ad.

Apply as soon as possible. If you don't get in then the first time you won't have to take two gap years. The earlier you're done the earlier you make money. If I were you I'd do it

My two cents is that you do have time to become what you want to be but you also shouldn't try to grow up too fast. Consider taking a year off to travel and enjoy life, etc. yes, you can stop to smell the roses after you're an accomplished dentist also but you also can't get your early 20s back. Your choice ^^

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with @jwan14 , apply as soon as you can and then if you get in, great! If not you have a year to improve your stats, work at a dental office, etc. But if you end up feeling like you should take a year off in the end nothing wrong with that. You do you first.

Hey im graduating in three years as well. I am applying this cycle right after my second year. You don't need to wait for the extra gap year? Makes no sense.

Btw, I'll keep you updated how my application cycle goes. I already got 1 interview invite.

I'd live a little before applying that young. There are so many wonderful mistakes that you would miss out on.

Def apply right away. A gap year is the ultimate form of procrastination, you will regret it. Its best to finish your schooling as fast as you can.

I'd live a little before applying that young. There are so many wonderful mistakes that you would miss out on.
I would have to agree with this. I am non traditional and I agree that you should take a gap year and travel. You won't have this for a long time, and In the future you might be married or have kids and won't be able to do it. Better to do and regret , than to not do sow thing at all

Def apply right away. A gap year is the ultimate form of procrastination, you will regret it. Its best to finish your schooling as fast as you can.

Cant tell if this is sarcasm

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't have parents who are willing to fund a gap year to backpack Europe and do other rich kid cliches, then I'd vote for applying to DS.

If you don't have parents who are willing to fund a gap year to backpack Europe and do other rich kid cliches, then I'd vote for applying to DS.

Has nothing to do with funding a gap year to backpack. I was thinking work for a year, get some real life experience and actually learn something about yourself, then apply following year.

Kid is going to be so burned out once if he goes straight into it. I have 2 that completed medical school at same pace this could did, and they have serious regrets and social issues. Anecdotal, I know but something to think about it. You're only young 20's once.

I plan on graduating undergrad in 3 years (I've been taking summer classes so that I will have enough credits to graduate). Would it be better to just take what would have been my senior year off as a gap year, or should I apply the summer after my second year and go to dental school immediately after graduating? (assuming I get into somewhere of course)

Don't listen to anybody who says you are going to regret it if you go the 3 year route instead of the 4 year route. It's a one year difference. College is what you make of it. As long as you are willing to get out of your comfort zone, be sociable, and try new things, I believe you will have an awesome time in college. However, if you do not force yourself to try new things and have fun, you will always be socially inept and awkward, regardless if you stay for 4+ years in college. Don't forget that dental school is 4 years of college as well. Whose to say that you won't have fun in dental school as well. Again, it's what you make of it that matters.

For taking a gap year, that's totally up to you. I love traveling
and backpacking to several countries. Our family goes atleast once a year on vacation to explore new countries, and my parents go alone on vacation without my sister and I once a year as well. So whoever says you will not have time, they are 100% wrong. The important thing to take from this is to MAKE TIME. My parent's did, and I plan onto as well.

However, @cacajuate also said something very important as well. Make sure you learn something about yourself. Ask yourself if being a dentist is something you can be happy with for the rest of your life. I shadowed, volunteered, and worked as a dental assistant before applying to dental school. I was absolutely sure that I wanted to be a dentist, and carry on my family trade.

Also you DO NOT need to take a whole gap year to study abroad. For me, I plan on studying abroad the summer before dental school for a month or two. Personally, I think that's enough for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did it with a kid barely at age 21

I know two dentists who graduated undergrad in 3 years and went on straight to dental school. They both dropped out after a year into DS. Both told me that they felt they were too immature and not ready to handle DS. Eventually, they applied to DS again following a couple of years rethinking whether becoming a dentist was what they really wanted and whether they felt ready. I think you should really think about it. Maybe taking a year off isn't such a bad thing. I know you guys might think that making money a quick as possible is important, I felt that way too, but as many of the other posters have said, you will never get your 20's back! Enjoy them while you can!

I know two dentists who graduated undergrad in 3 years and went on straight to dental school. They both dropped out after a year into DS. Both told me that they felt they were too immature and not ready to handle DS. Eventually, they applied to DS again following a couple of years rethinking whether becoming a dentist was what they really wanted and whether they felt ready. I think you should really think about it. Maybe taking a year off isn't such a bad thing. I know you guys might think that making money a quick as possible is important, I felt that way too, but as many of the other posters have said, you will never get your 20's back! Enjoy them while you can!
Considering that they've been in college for 3 years you'd think that they would've matured by that point. I got my ass kicked 1st semester by classes and I shaped up pretty quick after the winter break. But what exactly did they say made them feel like they were too immature? Was it because they were the youngest among their class and felt intimidated or was it because they realized they have friends and family back home they can spend a year with before giving in to life?

Considering that they've been in college for 3 years you'd think that they would've matured by that point. I got my ass kicked 1st semester by classes and I shaped up pretty quick after the winter break. But what exactly did they say made them feel like they were too immature? Was it because they were the youngest among their class and felt intimidated or was it because they realized they have friends and family back home they can spend a year with before giving in to life?
One of those dentists I talked about is actually my husband. He told me that during his first year in DS, he was distracted with sportsbetting and was lazy going to classes. He even flunked a class and thought that the professors were picking on him because of how young he was. You can see how immature he sounded like right?

One of those dentists I talked about is actually my husband. He told me that during his first year in DS, he was distracted with sportsbetting and was lazy going to classes. He even flunked a class and thought that the professors were picking on him because of how young he was. You can see how immature he sounded like right?
I see. So professors aren't too fond of the young entering the profession. After he dropped did he have to reapply like everyone else or did the university give them a year off before coming back. I know my aunts dental school gives at most 2 years off in case someone had to take a leave of absence.

I see. So professors aren't too fond of the young entering the profession. After he dropped did he have to reapply like everyone else or did the university give them a year off before coming back. I know my aunts dental school gives at most 2 years off in case someone had to take a leave of absence.
No, he took the DAT again and applied to a couple of other schools. I forgot to mention, he graduated a year early from high school too, so he was 20 years old when he entered DS. I think that is a bit young. I am pretty sure the other dentist did the same, reapplied, the whole nine yards again.

No, he took the DAT again and applied to a couple of other schools. I forgot to mention, he graduated a year early from high school too, so he was 20 years old when he entered DS. I think that is a bit young. I am pretty sure the other dentist did the same, reapplied, the whole nine yards again.
What dental school was he in originally, if you din't mind me asking. And did he get into the same school on the second time around?

What dental school was he in originally, if you din't mind me asking. And did he get into the same school on the second time around?
He went to Temple and hated it. When he applied the second time around, he got into U. Pitt and NYU. We wanted to live in NYC so he chose NYU and the rest is history : )