graduating early...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigerbro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I am currently a a double major. I plan on applying to med school June of 2016. I have recently begun to consider dropping the non bio major and graduating 1 semester early. The reason why is that I LOVE research. I would like to take a year and a half and just do plain research and HOPEFULLY crank out a few papers.

I've been thinking about it all weekend. I know a lot of people take a year off during medical school to do research and rack up publications for those competitive residencies. I would only do this if I could get a good research gig lined up (clinical preferably) and think I can get a few pubs.

My question is, will it be looked down upon? Also, would getting a few publications now outside of medical school help me down the line for residency selection, or do they mainly consider publications while in med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Graduating early will not be looked down upon. Residencies only care for med school accomplishments.