GRE and MPH Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flowergirl1234

Reaction score
Hello, I was hoping people would provide me with some info about what the level of GRE scores is good enough to get into top public health schools? I know all the schools say they weigh all parts of the application (and I do think I have a pretty strong app besides GRE scores, in the low/mid 50th percentile), but I just don't want my GRE scores to be the factor of why I didn't get into my dream schools. If anyone can provide me with some knowledge about any of the schools below that would be super helpful! Deciding if I should take the time to re-study and take them again (which is a lot of time and money). THANKS!

1. Boston University School of Public Health
  2. Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health
  3. Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
  4. Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
  5. UCLA Jonathan and Karin Fielding School of Public Health
  6. UNC Gillings School of Global Health
  7. University of California, Berkeley School of Public Health
  8. University of Michigan School of Public Health
  9. University of Washington School of Public Health

Members don't see this ad.

The question you should also be asking yourself is "what sort of financial assistance might I receive in the form of scholarships" from these schools (Unless you are able to fund your degree out of pocket). Unless you are in-state at one of these public universities, the cost of tuition is pretty substantial and you don't want to be taking on an exorbitant amount of loans just to go to the #1 or #5 school.

I think JHU, Columbia, Berkeley and Harvard are out of the running with low 50s-not sure about the other ones..probably fine at BU and it seems like UNC is pretty holistic in its review of application. But I'd retake the GREs to better your chances of receiving some sort of merit scholarship.

Thanks so much for your thoughts! The costs of tuition is definitely something I am considering so I think trying to get financial assistance would be good for me