GRE courses/reapplying advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psu17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am currently in the process of re-applying to PT school. :(
I believe the biggest factors of my rejections were my GRE scores and applying too late and to the wrong schools (I applied to some schools during their soft deadlines and to others that only accepted 2-4 out of state students). I took the GRE twice and got almost the exact same score both times, both just under 1000 (I've always been horrible at standarized tests).

I'm considering taking a shorter GRE prep test and retaking the test in a month or two. (I would enter my scores on PTCAS during the acedemic update)
Would anyone suggest taking a course and trying again? Should I forget about retaking the test? Are there any other test prep materials that would be just as beneficial as a course?

I also considered not taking a course (just using books or not taking the test again) and using the money to become certified in personal training or something similar. Thoughts?

some other stats in case they help - I have a Kinesiology degree from Penn State with a 3.3 GPA and a little over 300 volunteer hours. I got waitlisted at 2 schools last year.

Some schools I'm considering are Thomas Jefferson, Shenandoah, Marymount, Slippery Rock, Saint Augustine, and The Univerisity of TN

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah man, im applying again this year too. I have like a 3.00130 (Yeah its low) overall GPA now after taking some extra classes at the CC to raise that GPA. But my pre-req GPA ranges from 2.98 to 3.31 depending which school I apply to. I got an 1150 on the GRE and got waitlisted to 2 schools for the 2009 cycle. I skipped the 2010 cycle because I hit depression (not really I was just really devastated but decided to try one more time). My suggestion is to apply early, if your GRE is lower than 1000 then you should retake it. I didn't have to take a prep course for it but did study for like 2 months straight even the weekends. My friend got accepted to PT school with a 980 on the GRE, that was her highest score on three attempts (She also had a 3.7 GPA though)