GRE for PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JWeir

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to apply to PhD programs during the next application cycle. The GRE scores I used for my MPH applications will still be valid-- 98%V 59%Q 98%AWA

I am planning to apply to mostly community health and behavioral science programs. I will have excellent grades from my MPH and a few publications. I will have 2 semesters of biostat, 1 of epi methods using SAS, and plan to be a TA for a biostat class next semester. My undergrad was a long time ago but my GPA was fine. Do you think I need to retake my GRE in hopes of a higher quant score, or would that be a waste of time and money?

I'm aiming for programs like Yale, Michigan, and Columbia but haven't made my final list yet.

TIA for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also interested in answers to this question is anyone has them! My GRE scores were very similar but I don't have publications yet.

So far, I've heard from recent admits that GRE scores aren't that important in PhD admissions, but this forum and others makes them seem very important. I've been looking at school's CEPH self-studies to see if they report average GREs, and for the most part have found that average quant scores are in the 70th-80th percentile at top social/behavioral programs and well above 80th for biostat and epi.

If you think you can improve your GRE I would retake it. Since you aren't
I'm going to apply to PhD programs during the next application cycle. The GRE scores I used for my MPH applications will still be valid-- 98%V 59%Q 98%AWA

I am planning to apply to mostly community health and behavioral science programs. I will have excellent grades from my MPH and a few publications. I will have 2 semesters of biostat, 1 of epi methods using SAS, and plan to be a TA for a biostat class next semester. My undergrad was a long time ago but my GPA was fine. Do you think I need to retake my GRE in hopes of a higher quant score, or would that be a waste of time and money?

I'm aiming for programs like Yale, Michigan, and Columbia but haven't made my final list yet.

TIA for any advice!

Do you know what the scores are like at the programs you are looking at? If your scores are below the average I would retake. You have a year so you have plenty of time. If you think you could study and bring up your quant score I would do it. The GRE is one of the few things you still have control over.